some questions about SC99 and VC200

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Internet

some questions about SC99 and VC200

Wed May 07, 2008 10:13 am

Hi there,

I just bought a grampian lathe. With this lathe comes a SC99 and VC200

What is the maximum cutting level with this cutting head and this poweramp.

I'll have certainly other few questions in this same topic later.

Thanks in advance to you :)

studiorp

Wed May 07, 2008 10:34 am

Hello, can you post photos of your Grampian lathe ?
About your amplifier,you have a power of 68Wper channel.
The frequency response of cutterhead is of 20hz to 18khz with deep bass and clear sound.
Cheers.

Internet

Wed May 07, 2008 10:57 am

studiorp wrote:Hello, can you post photos of your Grampian lathe ?
About your amplifier,you have a power of 68Wper channel.
The frequency response of cutterhead is of 20hz to 18khz with deep bass and clear sound.
Cheers.

Hi, thanks for those answer. Of Course I'll post some pictures in few days.

What I wanted to know is the highest cutting level.

JayDC

Sat May 10, 2008 1:39 am

I'd have to say, it's the loudest you cut before it blew..

This is a pretty pro setup and some cutting rooms use the sc-99 for mastering, you have a good setup..

Internet

Sun May 11, 2008 8:43 am

my first test are really good. Level is very good too.

I got some other little problems there have to be solved.
For example, the space betwen grooves at the start of cutting is really too big.
I have too find a solution for that.
The speed of the plate at 33rpm is a little bit higher than normal should be.

I will post some pics next days. Maybe some of yours could help me.

motorino

Sun May 11, 2008 2:36 pm

ask to Andre http://www.vinylium.ch/

he is a good men and i believe dont have any problem for send you all documentation about

for lathe things...its a 60hz or 50 hz turntable motor? ask to your salesman for adjust

with good sound processing you can cut PRO levels

Internet

Sun May 11, 2008 3:51 pm

motorino wrote:ask to Andre http://www.vinylium.ch/

he is a good men and i believe dont have any problem for send you all documentation about

for lathe things...its a 60hz or 50 hz turntable motor? ask to your salesman for adjust

with good sound processing you can cut PRO levels
by the way, it's precisely Andre from Vinylium who repaired this lathe
2 years ago.

I will contact him.

I already broke fuse because to much high frequency.

When I'm listening to the feedback sound, sound is more clear than original input sound.

Wich compressor should I use to solve those problems?
I mean in plug, I just have protools and a finalizer 96K.

thanks in advance for answer.

cheers

studiorp

Sun May 11, 2008 4:16 pm

you're probably listening the sound with reverse riaa and this is the cause because your sound is more clear compared to the original input sound.

Internet

Sun May 11, 2008 4:23 pm

studiorp wrote:you're probably listening the sound with reverse riaa and this is the cause because your sound is more clear compared to the original input sound.
on the VC200, I choose feedback to hear on the monitoring sound's going into the head.

sound is a little more clearly. Not really a problem. the rest is perfect.

studiorp

Sun May 11, 2008 4:43 pm

ok, so this fact remember me a system that was used in the cassette tape decks of 70-80 years that mounted 3 head built in permalloy material.
When I hear the sound just recorded a moment before, I can play a sound more clear than the input sound, this because permalloy load on the tape an extended dynamic.
I think that a similar thing can happen in your cutterhead, because the sc99 has the magnets of high quality.

cuttercollector

Sun May 11, 2008 8:07 pm

Sorry, but that's impossible.
You can hear a sound that you like better that has altered frequency response or a type of distortion that adds color to the harmonics of the sound that you like but the recorded output of any device can't sound better than the input unless the input is for some reason being altered, in which case you are repairing a deficient sound. An example would be a source recording lacking bass which when put through a recording process that ends up boosting the bass the end result is "better" because one compensates for the other. As to dynamics, they get played with all the time through compressors etc. Almost all analog recording devices compress (and distort) sound when driven to and past their designated maximum recording levels on peaks. I never have heard of anything but an expander box giving increased dynamic range. Even then it is artificial - making up for compression somewhere else. Sometimes with things like Dolby if you turn it on when it was not recorded with it it can make the recording sound artificially expanded.
Although we do things with computers and boxes and recorders to make sounds we like better, we are not making them more like the original than the original. If it sounds good going into the microphone and everything else does not degrade or change the sound, you can only make it different in a way that sounds better to you. Not flatter than flat or lower distortion than none.

motorino

Mon May 12, 2008 4:01 am

hello cuttercollector

i remember when listen the vc200 the first time in vinylium...

do you know how works on the inside? my friend put his powerbook connected directly to vc200 and we cut track, without any sound processing, and open too much her eyes....my friend is a recognized producer that has been having discs in the market for many years

the vc200 have a very good open sound

Internet

Mon May 12, 2008 4:31 am

A first pic of the lathe. Not a VMS80 or other neumann, but ready to cut and sound's good :)

Some bigger pics are coming later. This a pic the saler gived to me. I didn't have any time to take fotos.

cuttercollector

Mon May 12, 2008 11:37 am

motorino wrote: we cut track, without any sound processing, and open too much her eyes....my friend is a recognized producer that has been having discs in the market for many years

I'm quite sure it does sound good. I do know how disc cutters work inside.
I do not even dispute that we use certain microphones, tape machines or disc lathes for their "sound". I was simply saying that any type of "sound" as in a particular quality that changes the output from the input signal is some sort of coloration that is a type of distortion of the input signal even if we think subjectivly it sounds "better" than the original input signal. It is all very complicated psychoacousticly speaking. We have a good sound of an instrument or voice in a room. We try to pick it up with a mic that has absolutly flat response and record it to a digital system that has absolutely flat response - yet we don't like this theoretically flat accurate sound. It sounds subjectivly "too thin" to us so we use another mic that "sounds better" for this application, run it through eq, compression, perhaps record it to analog tape and finally cut it with a lathe to get the "sound" we like. We just need to realize that we have used tools to make it sound subjetivly better to us. It is not "better" by measurement as far as flatness of response, dynamic range or freedom from distortion than the original sound. It simply sounds "better" to our ears.

Internet

Mon May 12, 2008 11:48 am

cuttercollector wrote:
motorino wrote: we cut track, without any sound processing, and open too much her eyes....my friend is a recognized producer that has been having discs in the market for many years

I'm quite sure it does sound good. I do know how disc cutters work inside.
I do not even dispute that we use certain microphones, tape machines or disc lathes for their "sound". I was simply saying that any type of "sound" as in a particular quality that changes the output from the input signal is some sort of coloration that is a type of distortion of the input signal even if we think subjectivly it sounds "better" than the original input signal. It is all very complicated psychoacousticly speaking. We have a good sound of an instrument or voice in a room. We try to pick it up with a mic that has absolutly flat response and record it to a digital system that has absolutely flat response - yet we don't like this theoretically flat accurate sound. It sounds subjectivly "too thin" to us so we use another mic that "sounds better" for this application, run it through eq, compression, perhaps record it to analog tape and finally cut it with a lathe to get the "sound" we like. We just need to realize that we have used tools to make it sound subjetivly better to us. It is not "better" by measurement as far as flatness of response, dynamic range or freedom from distortion than the original sound. It simply sounds "better" to our ears.

Could be very good subject in an other topic.

andybee

Tue May 13, 2008 7:10 am

looks good!
the sc-99 has a treble boost, starting at 5-6khz.
best way is to use a eq before the vc-200 and check the
frequency response with a test cut, noise or something,
but be careful, not too loud :)
I use 0.63 Ampere slow Fuses, works good.
good luck!
andreas