took down neumann vms66

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dietrich10

took down neumann vms66

Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:05 pm

took apart and moved a neumann vms66. so much faster this time than when i moved my vms70 in february. understand the machines so much better.
cutting all weekend in old cutting room that has both vms66 and 70 + sontec eq i am dying to play with.
i should be ready to cut on my own in 2 weeks or less
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

Aussie0zborn

Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:10 am

What a shame I couldn't help you move it. ;-) Once you've moved a couple of lathes you work it out very quickly.

Before you know it you will be cutting like a champion on that VMS70

BTW: The trolls are all waiting for a copy of your first cut on vinyl.

dietrich10

Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:01 am

Off to Dallas to cut with Stan Getz@ A&R on his VMS70, sontec eq etc
This should be my last training before i am on my own.
Also meeting the guru Al Grundy next wednesday to check out my sx74 and amps+the vms66 head and fix a regulator

D

Perisphere

Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:05 pm

God, I wish I knew where I could get some training and get into proper pro disc mastering. I've always wanted to do it, all my life, since I was very small.

blacknwhite

Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:10 am

Perisphere wrote:God, I wish I knew where I could get some training and get into proper pro disc mastering. I've always wanted to do it, all my life, since I was very small.
Call some of the remaining mastering houses. They're some nice folks from what I've seen, willing to share info. None of them wants to see the art of disc mastering, and therefore the vinyl format, die out completely.

Start with those close to you and work geographically outwards from there. If you don't have luck finding vinyl masterers in your area, ask here. Then drive, or buy a plane ticket if its not closeby. Airfare is cheap now with the economy&airline crisis. ( http://www.travelocity.com/ )

You're in Arkansas? You might google "Arkansas Record Mastering" and start calling the results and ask if they do vinyl, and if so, could you visit sometime to watch them work as you're interested in learning. Might even get a parttime second job out of it if you're hardcore serious, who knows.

One super-friendly-sounding guy is the guy who runs Aardvark Mastering, in Colorado, that's not too far from Arkansas to fly, you might get a round trip for around $200 if you let travelocity choose the exact times for cheapest deal, but will have to get a hotel too... he seems to freely give out good sounding vinyl cutting info:
http://www.aardvarkmastering.com/

Of course you might try calling closer studios first, asking if they do vinyl... For example, "Studio C Records": Anyone you call who doesnt do vinyl, you can ask, do they know someone nearby who does:
http://www.studiocrecords.com/

Good luck,

- Bob

dietrich10

Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:02 am

2 days of cutting.
man it was great. i am ready to get my system 100% and start on my own

learning a lot in 2 days