Musician's Friend interview of Todd Mariana about the D-BOX+

Who are you? Tell us about yourself, get feedback, and provide links to your work.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Musician's Friend interview of Todd Mariana about the D-BOX+

Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:59 pm

todd_dbox+.png
Written by: Neal Andrew Emil Gustafson
For: Musician's Friend

Link: https://thehub.musiciansfriend.com/behind-the-brand/dangerous-music-s-todd-mariana-discusses-sustainable-product-design?fbclid=IwAR2EFmmB02W0iFRKF7Qqxb5jdhWFR2AxMpfZlRjPiTNuefILpTAIOKV2YNM

Today, the first of my—five-part The Namm Show 2019—Product Designer interview series kicks off for Musician's Friend!

Coming on strong—for this first developer profile in the series—I couldn’t be more delighted to have had the honor to profile a dear old friend and a programming virtuoso, who has become an incredible inventor in recent years.

Not everyone has a half-century old Neumann vinyl lacquer cutting lathe assembled in their two-bedroom apartment to learn the legacy craft of cutting acetate-coated aluminum discs.

Prospecting the future, while firmly respecting the past, Todd Mariana, did just that.

After a trip to New York to pick up the lathe—from the legendary Al Grundy—the vinyl evangelist, software engineer and mechanical maestro transformed his living room into a lacquer lab, diving headfirst into the industrial art of cutting vinyl masters.

Since then, he has become one of the foremost experts on lathe technology—including learning to fabricate replacement parts no longer available—generously sharing his knowledge with the community and propelling this craft forward.

After relocation to Los Angeles, his software development career—moving in parallel with his increasing lathe expertise notoriety—saw him entering into the pro audio business, procuring a product development partnership with Dangerous Music.

In 2015, Todd and the Dangerous Music team—armed with decades of combined engineering excellence—set their sights on pushing pro audio into the future, exploring new frontiers of analog and digital hybrid technologies.

The first product release to emerge from this partnership—the Dangerous Music D-BOX+ Summing Mixer and Controller—was announced at NAMM 2019. Just ahead of the unveiling, I got a chance to catch up with the homie to discuss his extensive development on “The Industry's Most Revolutionary Studio Controller”, how pragmatic necessity turned him into an inventor, and what's next for him and Dangerous Music.

Dangerous Music’s Todd Mariana Discusses Sustainable Product Design - By Neal Andrew Emil Gustafson
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

symatic

Re: Musician's Friend interview of Todd Mariana about the D-

Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:50 am

i understand less than half of what you said, but well done! shame i missed you at namm, i'll have to come out next year!