PRESTO K-8 NEWBIE IN FLORIDA

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

LocalFloridianPunk

PRESTO K-8 NEWBIE IN FLORIDA

Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:11 pm

Hey everybody, I'm 21 and I'm starting a record label with a non profit lathe cut production for local bands across Florida. I bought a Presto K-8 from a guy who was embossing local bands on polycarb in Austin. It is undergoing restoration at my friend's house (recapping, replacing tubes), and it should be in working order pretty soon. This is a life long project for me, and I intend to spend my years with it. Anybody with a K-8 that can offer a guide, advice, or any classes/teachers here in Florida would be great! Treat me like an alien from another galaxy with no knowledge whatsoever, I just wanna cut records with a K-8!

Sincerely, Ryan H.
Founder of D.M.T.A. Records

https://www.gofundme.com/f/dmtarecords

displacedsnail

Re: PRESTO K-8 NEWBIE IN FLORIDA

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:35 pm

Hey Ryan! Welcome to the world of lathes. I'm still new myself--I've only been cutting since October--but I got started by attending lathe cut camp with Mike Dixon. For what it's worth, I just got my second lathe, LOL, so it's really sticking! I'd recommend reaching out to him, he does Tech Support lathe calls, you can schedule one on his site:

https://www.recordlatheparts.com/collections/services

One two hour session with him is better than about 20 hours of trying to get things done on your own and googling stuff. Feel free to DM me with some questions, too, and I'll help if I can.

Good luck!
<3 Joe
Displaced Snail Quality DIY Zines & Records

Phoenix

Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:45 pm

I second this!

My wife and I are doing a similar project in Michigan. The Lathe Cut Camp was amazing!

I don’t have any lessons learned yet, though I would recommend finding a source for your blanks. Surprisingly we found CNC shops could get us a better price than some of the local plastics distributors.
- Phoenix

Keep spinning!

piaptk

Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:42 am

Thanks for the plugs yall! Ryan, i can definitely help you get on the road, especially if the lathe was being used when you received it. But there are still a million variables about your machine, your setup, your experience level, etc etc etc that would take forever to fully discuss on the forum. A two hour texh support call could hash everything out pretty quick. A lathe cut camp would give you an even better headstart. Unfortunately the 23rd lathe cut camp in may just sold out. Wont be doing another until the fall.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com