Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

jamesp

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:47 pm

Hi - thanks for letting me join. I've been recording and mastering for over 30 years for mainly small labels and local artists. While I've produced many pre-masters for vinyl production I've only actually seen a record being cut once - and that was a really interesting process. I was chatting to a label that I work with and the subject of lathe cut records came up and they asked whether we could make our own. I've been lurking and searching here for a few days hoping to find out what is available at reasonable prices but, having looked around, I'm starting to think that it might be good to build a DIY lathe.

I'm not a newcomer to electronics and I was heavily involved in the electronics and software for Autosub - https://noc.ac.uk/technology/technology-archive/story-autosub (aka Boaty McBoatface for those in the UK) so I am hoping that my experience with that will help inform the lathe's development. I also have a 12 year old son who is very keen on 3D printing and computing so I'm hoping to rope him into the project too (mainly because I'll probably want to use his 3D printer).

I'm looking forward to learning lots from everyone here!

South in Cuts

Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:17 am

Hello, thank you for accepting me. I'm new here and I really want to learn from all of you. I'm a music producer, I produce some Hiphop beats, I have a dubplate made in France and now I want to learn how to cut my records and immortalize my beats in this analogue that we love. Cheers

p1cturelamp

Mon Nov 20, 2023 5:09 pm

Hello all!

Huge nerd for anything analog music here! I've been recently inspired to pursue my hopes of home record cutting (maybe for some band I'll eventually be a part of) and this looked like a really fun community to be in with regards to that

Dann Daftpop

Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:44 pm

Hi all, thanks for letting me join. I'm a British musician who spent 15 years in East Asia touring, running labels, organising events, and producing tapes. Earlier this year I returned to the UK and brought my label Daftpop with me, along with a bunch of tape duplicating gear. Waiting for me in the UK was a refurbished Presto K10 from Mike Dixon and since getting it up and running I've been on the steep learning curve of cutting music to PC and CDs and having finally got some results I'm pleased with I'm look forward to cutting more in 2024!
https://www.daftpopculture.com/

C-Pilote

Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:21 pm

Hi guys !
Hello from Gatineau/Ottawa Canada
I’m Chany from studio NOMANSLAND
I started this crazy adventure last march
2023 .. and will not give up!

Cheers!
🤘☢️
☢️

CoastToCoast8

Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:20 pm

Hi there!

I just bought a Gekken Record Maker, and I didn't know about the world of lathe. Fascinating! Here to learn a lot.

Fattcamp

Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:53 am

Hi folks!

My name is David and I'm from Western Canada (Vancouver Island, BC). I've always wanted some of my own music on vinyl but never wanted to spend the money for my inactive projects... which led me to lathe cuts.I've taken on projects in the past such as DIY modular synths, DIY fx pedals etc... My day job is in IT for our health authority. I'm a local musician, recording & mixing engineer and general nerd that's gone full hermit-mode after having kids, going back to school and making a career change.

I thought it would be both fun & ridiculous to attempt building my own cutting rig following the Lathe Guide / Vinyl Burn build using 3D printed parts (https://github.com/dn784533/lathe_guide).

I've checked out David's video on the project (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9dJRgjcsHA) as well as another related build thread (https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9187).

I'll find the appropriate place here to post about that but just wanted to say hi to everyone and let them know I'm one of those crazy people that very well may be at the beginning of a very deep rabbit hole!

Cheers,
Dave

lamedebiche

Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:23 pm

Hey everyone!

My name is Biche and I'm based in the beautiful area of Montréal. A music and electronics enthusiast, I've been drawn to the world of lathe cut vinyl, a natural progression after venturing into projects like microcontroller programming and using CNC machines and 3D printers. Professionally, I'm immersed in the electronics field, but it's creation and innovation that excite me the most. Eager to dive into this fascinating shit universe, I'm here to learn and probably share, so...

Looking forward to engaging with this community!

Best,
Grosse Biche

themagician

Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:25 am

Hi everyone,
A big hello from sunny Queensland Australia!

Firstly, wow what a great community. I feel like I've stumbled across an archeological digital archive regarding the subject and have yet to engage with the greater community.

I've been a musician and multi-disciplinary engineer my whole career and I'm (very) early on in my troll journey (just started Dec 2023).
However given 3 weeks holidays, this forum, the fantastic write up by @grooveguy and a sapphire stylus from @piaptk - I've manage to knock up a home made cutter, based off a cheap Citronix turntable (yes it has enough torque) and an old Geeetech 3D printer gifted to me for the project.

Still a bit to go however I'm happy given it's only just on 8 weeks or so. :)
I plan on doing a formal write up on here (eventually):
https://hackaday.io/ronald

If you are interested in following the project or my music (or contacting me directly):
https://www.instagram.com/ronnied_themagician

Happy to answer any questions anyone may have,
Ronnied The Magician
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

papawise

Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:16 pm

hi guys!
more than interesting community.
I'm Pablo from Argentina and I've been looking for information about this subject for many years and still didn't find the right path to get a machine to begin.

I was interested in the T560 for many years, but I've just got a response once and still waiting.

I hope to find here the information I need to progress.

Thank you.

Semar

Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:50 am

Hello everybody!
I'm Sebastian from France
There is two month ago, i've decided to order a Lp of my own music i've made a few years ago, it was my dream
Then i think "why pay 40e for 1 Lp and choose only 30 min of music when I can perhaps build my own lathe?!???)"
So i'm reading your post every days, learning, feeding my spirit!
I'm nearly ready to start my buit 😁✌️
Thanks for all the knowledge you share here (and sorry for my English)

Tognabalogna

Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:21 pm

hey everyone! I’m Tony, currently living in Brooklyn, NY.

I’ve been a musician/home recordist for pretty much my whole life—I have tons of experience with tape (cassette and R2R) and electronics but always felt like vinyl/lathe cutting was well out of my reach (mainly due to costs). Recently, I decided it was finally time to jump into this deeply complicated and confusing world after seeing a cheap soundscriber at my local junk shop. Looking forward to learning from and sharing with my fellow trolls!

Phoenix

Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:58 pm

Hello!

God, it’s been decades since I posted on a PhPBB forum! Love it…right or wrong I feel like a kid again.

Anyway, special thanks to Mike for the Lathe Cut Camp and for rebuilding a Presto 6N for me. Still building out the shop, but very excited to get this off the ground

My wife and I are starting a local lathe cutting service in Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA. We’re not trying to be the biggest, the best, or even the most successful. If we can support the local scene and cover costs, I’ll be thrilled!

I’m really looking forward to making some friends in the community, learn from the experts, support where I can, and really dive into this wonderful world of physical media.

Gonna take awhile to learn the ropes here in Lathe Trolls, but you’ll see me poke my head in here and there. I’ve got a couple decades of experience in maintenance and operations, so I hope to ask some good questions and maybe give some dumb answers.

So far, having some promising conversations with local suppliers to get blanks at a reasonable price!

Take care, folks! Keep on spinning.
- Phoenix

Keep spinning!

massforlive

Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:46 pm

Hello, I have been registered in this forum for some time. The truth is that I am excited about vinyl. It's something I've been trying for years. To the point of creating my own productions. And wanting to be able to record my material in this format. I would like to buy a starter setT560. I see that it is a reliable machine to work with. Greetings and I hope and it would be a delight to be able to have one of these devices soon.
I don't know if I'm putting the ad in the right place. I will see it in a moment