Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Gusstaff

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:17 pm

Hello, I'm Janusz, from Poland. I bought a vinyl recorder from Souri in May 2018. I am just trying to read all the posts about VR here on forum and I found some very important informations for me.

DAEvo

Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:44 am

Greetings from Denver. Found your site while researching the viability of pressing a limited run of EPs and trying to educate myself on neo-record-cutting techniques.

Studio 16

Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:23 pm

Hi everybody newbie to the group and to cutting, hoping i can get some assistance from somebody regarding the T560, having a bit of a problem setting up the cutter head weight and I am not getting anything going through the correlation meter.

ewarner

Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:15 am

Hello. I decided I don't have enough despair and wasted expense in my life so I started an experimental record label. The cost is high of pressing vinyl and sales have been really challenging so I think shorter (or on-demand) runs are the best. Hence my interest in lathe cuts.

I am looking for a machine ATM and I have a date for a VinylRecorder. This seemed like the best option as it is a current and supported model.

I am glad this forum exists.

RedSpadeRobyn

Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:22 pm

hey everyone..

I'm Robyn. I'm in Calgary, Canada. I have a T560... and i'm hopelessy lost with it. Very much like DJ Nemesis was posting. I'm cutting beautifully symmetrical but silent records. (facepalm).. I can't seem to adjust the amount of time that I'm trying to record.

I'm having numerous problems with mine, and am not really sure where to start troubleshooting, at first it was a fuse problem, and now I have a groove distance problem, as well as a weird warble sound. I have 24 pages of notes from my one day of training, but because there was no set-up or "how to properly re-create the training scenario".. i feel completely lost.

From Souri, he says I may have blown the cutter head.. but can't definitively tell me how I would know that. He says to send it back to him.. but I would like to understand the problem, more so than just sending it back with no instruction as to what I did wrong, and what I can do to rectify it before I attempt to plug in a piece and do the same thing all over again.

SIGH!

markrob

Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:57 pm

Hi,

Before, you send the head back, try a few things to narrow done the problem:

1. Substitute a set of speakers for the cutterhead and see if you get any sound out. If not check your audio chain from the power amp back to the mixer. For example feed audio into the power amp directly from you DAW or other audio source.
2. If you have a ohmmeter, check the cutterhead to see if you read a reasonable DC resistance. Should be under 8 ohms.
3. Check you wiring for bad cables and of course fuses.

Report back with your results and we can help you determine if the head is really dead.

Mark

djnemesis

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:20 am

Well im still no where further forward getting my cutter fixed or weights calibrated. I NEED it working though the amount of money i could make is crazy! Im going to email Souri again and ask him if he will help one more time. Wish me all the luck in the world cos ill need it!

djnemesis

Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:22 am

pixelgroove wrote:Hi folks,

I have an audio mastering studio in switzerland. I have build a lathe from an old Thorens, Caruso, Arduino this last tow years. I had the luck to meet Flo who advised me on this project. Now the lathe is functional and i am very happy to cut PVC for my customers :D

That usb microscope to see the grooves is absolute genius!!! Might buy 1 for my cutter!...............if i get it working

blivet

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:49 pm

Hello All,

I am coming at you with no equipment or experience what-so-ever. I first joined this forum back in 2015 (hello again Steve!) with the desire to make a lathe by redirecting the power of a tool into a drive for a lathe. Here is a kind-a tester on a Makita LS 1030 10" Mitre Saw, i geared it down from 4200 RPM (according to the label) to 1000 RPM:
This is born from an idea for an artwork that I had to shelve back in 2015, but I hope to accomplish in the summer of 2019 (possibly as a part of a residency in a junkyard). Essentially, I would like to build a lathe from scraps and use a funnel to record the sounds as analogue as possible. Fidelity is important, but I acknowledge that there will be noise issues.

There are just a few issues that I anticipate:

1. balancing the funnel without dampening the diaphragm

2. capturing sound in a funnel as efficiently as possible

3. vibration from the motor overpowering the diaphragm and creating a muddy recording

4. how to register the speed of the platter when using equipment that are not entirely reliable for consistent output

5. what kind of materials can I cut on that I would find second hand

Hopefully this is not too much sharing on an introductory post.

Looking forward to taking this on! Thank you for all your generosity,

Sean

Giugno

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi all,

I'm a recording engineer and budding mastering engineer. I know very little about lathe's, but I'm always trying to learn more about recording/mastering/etc.

Vinyljxnky

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:20 pm

Hello form Seattle, Washington.

I purchased an Airline (Montgomery Ward) record cutter at a garage sale this summer. I just had it serviced and the cutter head rebuilt. I've been able to cut a few plastic plates with some diminishing results. The thin plastic plates I started with don't seem to hold a decent groove. Is there any particular brand of plastic plate that works best? Again, a total beginner at this but having fun with the machine so far.

Thanks.

-Jeff

karpouzeboras

Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:03 pm

hey guys! Nice to meet you! I made this account long ago but I'm gonna be lurking from now on. Hope I'm gonna be posting sometimes too!

ajwindy

Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi everyone, 19 year old AJ Windmeyer here from the KCMO area! Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! Just bought my first record lathe, a 1940s Wilcox Gay turntable only. It has a Astatic X-26 cutting head that appears no good. I hooked it to a phono amp, and it had no response. Help! Does anyone have a good used head?

Thanks! I'm new to cutters but have experience with tube amps, and record players.

sdt9030

Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:54 pm

Howdy folks! My name is Steve Theiss, currently in Woodbury, MN, USA. I am an R&D physicist at 3M Company and recently purchased a 1924 Victor Victrola. I have been entranced by listening to the magic sounds coming from my Audio Time Machine and have become slightly obsessed with the idea of being able to record my own 78's for acoustic playback on the Victrola. I am thinking about the relative merits of buying and refurbishing an old lathe or building my own from scratch, and also contemplating the best route to making durable 78's that can survive the Victrola's playback. Looking forward to reading about your attempts/failures/successes as I start heading down this path. One thing I know is that digital recording/playback systems like iPods sure as heck won't be functional a hundred years from now, but my Victrola will still be able to play records as well as it does today! That's something worth preserving the knowledge of, both for the players and for the ability to record archival audio (albeit of sometimes questionable quality).

thomash85715

Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:52 pm

Greetings from Tucson AZ. A client showed me his Wilcox-gay recordette senior sporting only its play cartridge and arm. Wondering how we would even fit a cutting head into this narrow arm assuming we ever find one. Hoping to learn all about this from fellow trolls. Thank you.

emorritt

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:36 am

thomash85715 wrote:Greetings from Tucson AZ. A client showed me his Wilcox-gay recordette senior sporting only its play cartridge and arm. Wondering how we would even fit a cutting head into this narrow arm assuming we ever find one. Hoping to learn all about this from fellow trolls. Thank you.
The Recordette series used only one arm and cartridge, the Shure W56R (there was also a model starting with P but I don't recall the number). The W56R doubled as a pickup and cutter. To record, you raise the rear of the arm up until it locks, engaging the feedscrew below the turntable. There should be a metal tab where the arm is mounted that you grab and pull up. If you take a close look at the cartridge (assuming it hasn't been replaced with another, not appropriate for this unit) you'll see the pickup stylus, but also a hole with a setscrew at the front of the cartridge for a short shank cutting stylus. When the arm is 'down', the pickup stylus engages the record; when 'up', the cutting stylus is in the correct position.

There is a video of the unit recording here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZFr2u0haek

Hope this helps.

djbuzzard

Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi!

Virginia USA

retromodsound

Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:13 pm

Hi, stumbled apon this site and decided to join. Just need to start digging in a little more, there's plenty of info to be had here. I play old vinyl whenever we have dinner parties on an old portable tube magnavox Which fascinates our guests with the warm lo fi sound. What's nice is how durable these old albums are, I think I have one that skips out of many. Or is it the needle and arm Combo that is forgiving?

Manu Berry

Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:52 pm

Hi from Argentina, i am Manuel, and i'd like to tell you in this group that here are making a very nice Vinyl Recorder, i am about to purchase one of this

if someone need information, let me know, if i can help you it will be so nice

https://www.facebook.com/JonathanMejiatangent/

You only need to put a high torque turntable like a DD Technics 1200

if you need more information about this nice guy let me know,

greetings from Argentina

Manuel

jonty2k

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Hi Everyone, I found this forum while researching the T560, I am amased by the amount of information available and help on here, thanks for letting me join! :D