Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

alexandre.guber

Re: Welcome, Newbies! Say Hi in this thread!

Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:47 pm

Hi there,

My name is Alex and I intend to start a vinyl cutting company in Paris with a friend.
I am here to find the right machine and learn how to use it so that we can start our business in 2019.

We already have a background in business and science (Centrale Paris, ESSEC) and we are looking for somebody who would be happy to joins us!

If you are in Paris (or close to) and if you are motivated to learn, do not hesitate to contact us, it is always a pleasure to learn with several people!

Alex.

chrisdexta

Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:27 pm

Hey, interested in getting started - been lurking for weeks, found out so much already! Hope to contribute where I can!

Greetings from London, UK! :roll:

Iz Carter

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi, I'm Iz from Paris.
Owner of a T560VR since 7 years and cutting vinyl for my pleasure.
DJ and producer since 1999 playing only with MK2 decks and runnig a digital label called 96kHz Productions in techno, D&B and Break beat for 10 years.
I'm here to learn tricks and tips about Souri's Machine and say hello to all !

Cheers

CutR

Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:52 pm

Greeting fellow Trolls,

Coming from a music production background and having many dubs cuts at places like the infamous Music House and Transition to name a few, I've never really be interested in how the entire process works. Of course I've been an avid vinyl junkie from day dot, but it's only in the last recent years I've discovered an interest in lathes, cutting/embossing, DIY pressing and what not. I've read and learnt some much in this place it's unreal and totally addictive. And the DIY stuff that some of you talented members have produced from scratch is really inspiring.

Hoping to learn more and to give back even more in any way shape or form that i can.

Bless Up :D
CutR

Chris Chapelle

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:57 am

Hi there,

I'm Christophe From Sinetracks Mastering in Toulouse, South of France.

I'm looking to grow up my knowledge about cutting and Vinyl Lacquers. I have assisted to several Cutting session in the past.
In 2019, I have decided to upgrade my mastering business by buying a Cutting lathe as I'm doing a lot of Mastering for Electronic Music..
Sinetracks Mastering, Toulouse, France.
www.sinetracks.com

PMST

Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:22 am

Hi!

I run a studio and always had an interest in cutting vinyl and only recently have I managed to get the money together and decide to do it! This forum so far has been loads of help and I'm sure I'll be asking for advice in the coming month, great resource! Thanks!

Matt

EposLab

Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:11 am

Hello from Greece!
Totally new to lathetrolls!
As a vinyl lover since my childhood i always thought that the whole process of making a vinyl record was an art (even it was a mainstream process for the most out there!) and also that the vinyl hide REAL sound inside the grooves instead of 0101100111000 data!
I had a look some years ago if i can find a cutting lathe to try put the prices didn't fit my badget of that time.
Recently it happened to have a talk with Jesus of MF , who is responsible for lighting this fire again!
Thanks to his precious info and tips i started the search of my lathe!
As a beginner i thought i will look for something more compact as the Hara lathes but i was not lucky in buying any of them. Lately i manage to buy a Rek-O-Kut V with Master Pro B-5 carriage and Presto 1-D!
Still in the beginning as yesterday i made the box for them. I waiting for the converter to connect the motor and have it run for checking the speed etc.
The Presto head is marked as "15ohm" but checking the coil shows 3.6ohm so my guess is that is recoiled to 4ohm specs?!? (Hopefully)!
IMG_20190301_144421.jpg
IMG_20190301_144456.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Epos Laboratory Phono Cartridge Retip & Lathe Cuts
http:\\www.eposlab.gr
info@eposlab.gr
IG EposLab (https://www.instagram.com/eposlab/?hl=en)

markrob

Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:33 pm

Hi,

I don't have the coil spec for the 15 ohm 1D handy, but in the manual supplied by Presto, they recommend a 3 ohm resistor be added in series to make the head have the proper 500 Hz roll off happen. That would put the DC resistance in the 6-7 ohm range. That's in the ballpark for a 15 ohm impedance as it will always be higher than the DC resistance. Presto doesn't state the frequency that the head impedance is measured. Most speakers are at 1Khz. You are fine to run the head with a solid state amp with no series resistor as long as it can drive a 4 ohm minimum load. If you add the 3 ohm resistor the drive requirements are even less stringent. Just make sure the resistor is rate for 10 watts or more.

Mark

RyobraGlasspackDisc

Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:15 pm

Hi, I'm new to this world, and yet I'm not sure on how I3d like to build in this road, Having some smalll ideas, I'm interested in something; I'm interested in DIY, specially on programmes/softwares, wires, connections, etc for I understand the science behind the arm and the lathe, but I don't get how to connect things. It may be because I don't know much about it!! therefore I'm willing to learn as much as I can while I go down this rabbit's hole. CHEERS from Spain!!!

A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving (Lao Tse) Does quotation work like this?? Wait!! I shouldn't be writing this, nevermind, just warp time by surpassing light speed with your turntable and reread until "Lao Tse".

redcoatturncoat

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:33 pm

Hi! I just registered here. I'm trying to find someone to do short runs of 12", then once I'm a little more solvent, getting into cutting myself.

srfergu2

Re: Welcome

Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:47 pm

Hi my name is Scott and I have a vinyl record label. So far all of my master cuts have been done elsewhere by someone I don’t even know, and it is difficult for me to communicate to them how I want the record to sound. I am on my third record now and all three of them have been quieter than I wanted them to be and actually had more bass than what I think they should have. No matter what I say they keep coming back like this. So I think the only way for me to get exactly what I want is by learning to do it all myself. I will mostly be lurking here as I do on most other forums, but I am looking forward to learning from all of you very talented and intelligent people. Thank you for having this forum and allowing me to be a member!

VOG

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:01 pm

Hi there !

first of all thank you for everything I learned there already...

I'm a french based owner of a VR T560 since 3 years aiming to learn and improving my cuts

Thanks for the add 8)

gist

Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:17 am

I was very glad to find this corner of the Infobahn I had not previously visited. What a marvellous resource. I watched a video of a chap cutting his own 78s, and as someone with an interest in valve electronics and a wind-up gramophone, dreaming of making my own seemed a logical next step!

I imagine lurking until the stars align enough for me to have the space and knowledge to get into making.

rjkk

Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 am

Heya, super new to the idea of cutting vinyl, but I was hoping to build my own cutting head and use a turntable to cut, not necessary but if someone could point me to where I could find info on this it would be much appreciated :DDD

discosdecorte

Wed May 22, 2019 8:54 am

Hi!

I'm Fer from Spain. First, apologies if my English is not very good :oops:

I'm a total newbie very interested in DIY vinyl records.

Thanks for such an awesome forum.

Best regards,
Fer
🄳🄸🅂🄲🄾🅂 🄳🄴 🄲🄾🅁🅃🄴
www.instagram.com/decortediscos

YourFace

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:55 am

Hi, Great forum you guys have here. I’m just looking into vinyl cutting. I play the drums but do not currently preform with anyone. I’ve noticed that record releases often take a long time and can be expensive for local smaller artists. I like working with all kinds of machines and would like to possibly provide a service here in central Ohio. Thanks for adding me to the forum.

dmills

Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi all,
I am a newbie to record cutting, (but not to audio), and have always been fascinated by the rather mechanical nature of the whole thing to the point that I am contemplating building a lathe to have a play with (The electronics is trivial IMHO).

I have access to a lathe (in the metal cutting sense) as well as a mill so mechanically the doings don't look that bad, we will see.

Cutting head wise, I have some ideas, but that is for another forum....

Regards, Dan.

Joe_SA

Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:03 am

Sorry, thought I'd posted couple of years ago, but apparently I forgot 8)

I'm in South Australia, not; South Africa, South Antarctica or South Angola.

sleepycatrec

Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:33 am

Hello!

My name is Saman. Musician and audio engineer based in Carrboro, NC, USA.
Very excited about record cutting possibilities. Thanks for having me on here and I look forward to learning as much as I can.

harry dalek

Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:57 am

Hello friends i am from Victoria Australia my interest is in John logie Bairds phonovision and taking video recording back to its roots !