High Frequency Loss

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Foo

High Frequency Loss

Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:49 pm

Hey guys,

I'm completely new to vinyl cutting and have a Vinylrecorder. I've been noticing that whenever I run signal to it, there is a pretty big loss of high frequencies. I know the vinyl optimizer uses the RIAA eq curve but should this be shaving hi-end stuff drastically? It sounds like it cuts stuff around 7 or 8khz. I'm using a brand new diamond. Any advice?

sakuszi

Re: High Frequency Loss

Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:27 am

more frequency will not go max 10kHz , this head is the car speakers 30 $, see head T560, everything is explained in this topic, you have to hand ... :)
http://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6205

Snug Music

Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:32 pm

sakuszi wrote:more frequency will not go max 10kHz , this head is the car speakers 30 $, see head T560....
wrong saku...;) :wink:

I cut by 16.5khz with brilliant Hights,..
So,..
There's a whole lot of errors did may be responsible. a) what kind of source material do you use? (Mp3, wav, Which sample rate, analog signal, compressor, limiter, de-esser ect.?). use best pure analog audio material (has the best amplitude!). How's your back angleFrom the stylus? etc. I cut up to 16.5khz in the heights!

Best regards
Scotty 8) :wink:
I'm still not a professional, but I learn pretty fast. especially with my eyes and ears!

Foo

Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:48 pm

my signal is macbook running logic. Using Ozone plugin to decrease below 150hz on side channels -> Focusrite soundcard -> vinyl optimizer -> mixer -> stylus

we are using .wav files and the diamond looks straight.

Are you suggesting that we cut high frequencies? Wouldn't that be counterproductive since we're already losing so much?

handcut

Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:53 pm

Hello Foo,
Foo wrote:macbook running logic. Using Ozone plugin to decrease below 150hz on side channels -> Focusrite soundcard -> vinyl optimizer -> mixer -> stylus
Apologies if it seems like I'm stating the obvious, but that signal chain does not include an amplifier. You are using an amplifier, aren't you???

Also, when you say vinyl optimiser, do you mean the main unit, the one with the motor and stylus heater switches etc? Its just that the vinyl optimiser is a seperate unit, with a different set of (passive) controls. The main unit has riaa eq built in to it, as well as an adjustable three band eq for fine tuning the pre-emphasis curve. We no longer use the main unit in our set-up, but when we did I recall that the hf control of this eq had to be set fairly high... Do BE CAREFUL WITH THAT EQ though!!! You will fry your head pretty quickly if you start over compensating by cranking up the hf.

Did you get your set-up from Souri or did you buy second hand?

Foo

Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:08 am

Sorry. I wasn't looking at the machine when I listed the signal flow and totally forgot that I'm using the amp, optimizer and main unit. Exactly as Souri sells it. The machine was direct from Souri

GEEKKCC

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:30 pm

Hi Trolls and friends, i bought the vinyl recorder from Souri 4 months ago.

Great machine and a great man, everything was great until we moved studio space and then we encountered a humming sound from the Amplifier from souri, so we decided to change the plug into several different 13amp mains sockets around the room, somewhere better and some were worse, however, there is a slight hum when you turn the amp on when cutting with no music, turn off the amp it sounds fine and clean. I have a few questions as a noob and need to work out a few things.

1. SOURIS MIXER VOLUME AND GAIN IS CONTROLLED BY THE PFL AND THE CHANNEL 2 FADER, I CAN NOT FIND THE BALANCE RIGHT UNLESS I HAVE THE PFL KNOB REALLY LOW (WHICH DAMPENS THE HUM AND GETS RID OF IT ALMOST) BUT THEN THE CUTS ARE REALLY LOW AND IF I WAS TO TURN THE GAIN UP THROUGH THE FADER IT WILL DISTORT and sound bad.

2. BAD FREQUENCY ISSUES WITH HIGHS AND BRIGHTNESS, WE GO FROM DIGITAL TO POLY AND POLY THERE IS A LACK OF HIGHS AND PUNCH, ITS VERY DARK AND NOT WELL ROUNDED. Why could this be?

3. GROUNDING LOOP OR WRONG ROUTINE OR STYLUS ISSUES (EVEN THOUGH HAVE A BRAND NEW NEEDLE)

4. THE MACHINE WAS PERFECT BEFORE CHANGING A FEW PHONOS FOR THE BETTER

PLEASE HELP
THANKS

GEEKKCC

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:31 pm

Hi Trolls and friends, i bought the vinyl recorder from Souri 4 months ago.

Great machine and a great man, everything was great until we moved studio space and then we encountered a humming sound from the Amplifier from souri, so we decided to change the plug into several different 13amp mains sockets around the room, somewhere better and some were worse, however, there is a slight hum when you turn the amp on when cutting with no music, turn off the amp it sounds fine and clean. I have a few questions as a noob and need to work out a few things.

1. SOURIS MIXER VOLUME AND GAIN IS CONTROLLED BY THE PFL AND THE CHANNEL 2 FADER, I CAN NOT FIND THE BALANCE RIGHT UNLESS I HAVE THE PFL KNOB REALLY LOW (WHICH DAMPENS THE HUM AND GETS RID OF IT ALMOST) BUT THEN THE CUTS ARE REALLY LOW AND IF I WAS TO TURN THE GAIN UP THROUGH THE FADER IT WILL DISTORT and sound bad.

2. BAD FREQUENCY ISSUES WITH HIGHS AND BRIGHTNESS, WE GO FROM DIGITAL TO POLY AND POLY THERE IS A LACK OF HIGHS AND PUNCH, ITS VERY DARK AND NOT WELL ROUNDED. Why could this be?

3. GROUNDING LOOP OR WRONG ROUTINE OR STYLUS ISSUES (EVEN THOUGH HAVE A BRAND NEW NEEDLE)

4. THE MACHINE WAS PERFECT BEFORE CHANGING A FEW PHONOS FOR THE BETTER

PLEASE HELP
THANKS