Presto 6N, worth investing in?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

BIGGS

Presto 6N, worth investing in?

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Greetings all. New member here interested in getting into cutting. I'm curious by the looks of this Presto, would it be worth investing in to fix up? I assume the motor runs smooth, but there is obviously a lot of rust and corrosion going on. No enclosure, arm, or feed screws included either. I know it would still need a lot of $ and time, but is it worth it in this condition? Thank you all for any advice!
Sincerely,
BIGGS

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/clt/d/presto-6n-record-cutting/6475887934.html

BIGGS

Re: Presto 6N, worth investing in?

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Also, what would be the main things or highlights to look out for when inspecting a machine like this for purchase? (head winding, calibrations, etc...?)
-BIGGS

markrob

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:40 pm

Hi,

I would not assume the motor runs smooth and in fact, I would be wary of running it too long without checking on the lubrication. Feedscrew and dahspot are missing and probably more, but they can be fabricated. In its present condition, I would assume a full tear down and re-build is needed. Is this something you have the skills to do or would you have to pay to have that done? As to price, that's tough. These things seem to be bringing quite high prices right now, so its probably not totally outer space. Maybe you can work out a deal. Are you able to see it in person or will this be a long distance deal?

Mark

BIGGS

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:37 pm

Hi Markrob, Yes, I would be able to see it in person. I am capable of doing some work myself I would think...? Thanks for your advise. I guess parts could be fabricated in many cities?
-BIGGS

markrob

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:58 pm

Hi,

I believe troll member, Mike Dixon aka PIAPTK is providing 6N feed screws. You might want to PM him for more info. The 6N's are really well built and easy to work on. The 1D heads are also easy to work on for minor stuff (re-winding may need to be sent out depending on your skill set). The head impedance is stamped on the head in back. Hopefully its not 500 ohm as they are harder to drive with modern power amps. If you have a ohmmeter, check the coil for a reasonable reading (always a bit less than the marked impedance). Even if the head is marked 500 ohm, it may well have been re-wound at some time in the past to 8 or 16 ohms, so check. If you have a 1.5V battery handy, you can do a simple test by touching the two head leads to the battery and listening for a click. Do this quickly, just a short tap of the leads (polarity not important). You can also use a 9V battery, but be more careful as that can produce a much larger current into the head. As long as you are quick, there should be no chance of damaging the head.

Mark

piaptk

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:11 pm

It's also missing the crank for the feedscrew. Looks crusty! Definitely gonna be a project!
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com