I want to cut the best one off vinyl records in the world

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

fredbissnette

Re: I want to cut the best one off vinyl records in the worl

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:15 pm

no im raising up the groove no material is cut
my needle is tungsten

my entire rig cost less than 600 to build
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

ilium

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:06 pm

fredbissnette wrote: my entire rig cost less than 600 to build
I guess that's a case where the cost of replacing diamond cutters and other supplies would eventually cost more than then lathe :D

Reuben123

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:16 pm

Jesus from Greece has talked me out of trying to cut quality one off records.
His advice is it will kill my current pursuits of being a musician. No more time to play music. And will cost mega bucks to cut quality discs.

I thought I could do what the VR guys do and cut quality one off records without too much pain. But go to a more quality lathe like the AM44 with Flo's cutter head.
I thought if I bought a lathe and paid attention to detail with audio recording, mixing and mastering then I could make music Monday to Friday and cut the results on a Saturday afternoon. Ha ha.

Jesus said it I would no longer be making music and my life and money would be dedicated to the lathe.
If he is right, then I am best to be a musician and get others to cut me a few records when I need just a few. And if my music is good enough, pay for pressings.

Do pressing plants store the stamper for each pressing run for future pressings? If that is the case then pressing plants must have huge archives of stampers for each and every little run. My mates band got 150 7 inches done at Zenith in Australia.
Do they store the stampers forever?

Who cuts the best one off records if I want to get some done?

ilium

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:52 pm

Reuben123 wrote:Do pressing plants store the stamper for each pressing run for future pressings?
As far as I know they either send them to you to store forever or they recycle the materials.