Cutter physics/mechanics question...

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

strdsk

Cutter physics/mechanics question...

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:37 pm

Hey all....first post here! Nice to meet you! Question. When you have a blank record/plate/CD...and you begin a cut...what makes the cutter arm move towards the center of the record and prevents it from cutting over each revolution's previous cut? Is there a mechanism in the arm that draws it towards center...or do the physics of a spinning circle (record) self right the arm toward center naturally? Thanks much!!!

rsimms3

Re: Cutter physics/mechanics question...

Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:43 pm

strdsk wrote:Hey all....first post here! Nice to meet you! Question. When you have a blank record/plate/CD...and you begin a cut...what makes the cutter arm move towards the center of the record and prevents it from cutting over each revolution's previous cut? Is there a mechanism in the arm that draws it towards center...or do the physics of a spinning circle (record) self right the arm toward center naturally? Thanks much!!!
Welcome!

A feedscrew, just like a nut on a bolt goes in and out as you turn the head of the bolt. The pitch of the feedscrew (or the speed which a single screw is turned) determined how close each groove is cut in relation to the previous groove. I would recommend watching some YouTube videos.

strdsk

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:18 pm

Thanks for the welcome and info! Watched a bunch of vids, but cannot ever see how this works on a Wilcox Gay or Recordio unit. But there IS something that moves it, huh? Not just the arm willfully toward center on it's own driven by cut? I bought two of these units, have been ripped off by one tech after another, and am close to trying to fix it or build one myself. Thanks!!

rsimms3

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:50 am

Yes, those recorders used a feed screw system too but it's located underneath the platter. I'm not sure on the exact workings for those models but there is a system with a feed screw that maintains the distance between the grooves. The Cutting arm is coupled to a gear underneath the platter, you can see it sticking out on the right side of this picture below.

strdsk

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:27 pm

Very helpful....thanks!!!!!