Record Industry (NL) - always DMM or lacquers too?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

grae.area

Record Industry (NL) - always DMM or lacquers too?

Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:46 pm

my experience with records pressed from stampers originating from dmm cuts are mostly... painful (literally)

but a lot of records that were prodiced by the Dutch Record Industry sounds very good, or even better, so the question is: are all their products "dmm based" or i have to get deeper into this and ask them whether the good sounding examples were dmm orr lacquer cuts?

i was raised on lacquer cuts from Dubplates & MAstering, SST, and The Exchange - some were clean, some were dirtier (the exchange - grazz/nilz) but always within the boundaries of "good sound", the "dmm based" pressings that ive heard so far, are unlistenable - overloaded at mid-volume, harsh between 4-6kHz, they just sound "wrong" in allll aspects, but it may be due to poor engineering, and the technnology itself was ok.

anyway, for starters, i have to clarify the Record Industryy process :)

thanks for suggestions,
bartek

w_xm_n

Re: Record Industry (NL) - always DMM or lacquers too?

Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:39 am

hi bartek,

during my ongoing research on vinyl formulations, i stumbled across the following statement from Eric of Furnace MFG. It was posted on audioasylum in 2012/04. But i think it is still valid.
At Record Industry, we do offer mastering and cutting from customer's supplied input source (analog tape, high resolution WAV files or the dreaded CD). We can cut to lacquer or DMM. Our engineer, Rinus, has been cutting for vinyl for 35 years and has thousands of BIG credits under his belt.
https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=vinyl&m=1010635

Hope it helps

Dusty

grae.area

Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:23 am

there's been a mention of USA based Record Industry, and something tells me the auhtor is speaking on their part, how closely (if at all) it is related to the big dutch Record Industry, i dont know. i'll try to clarify this directly at the Record Ind. and will drop a line or two once i know for sure.

_ _ _

ok, took 10 seconds of read to find out:

https://www.recordindustry.com/contact

-->

Record Industry USA sales@furnacemfg.com
Phone number +1 703.205.0007
Fax number +1 703-205-2951

w_xm_n

Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:54 am

There is only one "Record Industry" plant - which is based in the Netherlands. As i grew up near the border to the Netherlands i can tell that "Rinus" is a dutch name.

Before Furnace MFG got their own pressing machines, they had a partnership with Pallas (Germany) & Record Industry (Netherlands) for pressing their records.
Furnace began in the 1990s as a production and packaging agent for indie and major labels...As the vinyl market grew, Furnace forged a relationship with European pressing plants Pallas (Germany) and Record Industry (The Netherlands). This relationship helps labels press overseas, while saving them money by shipping the record back to America in sleeves instead of jackets.
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/furnace-manufacturing-builds-new-16-press-pressing-and-packaging-plant

grae.area

Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:18 am

ALL of the ones i liked were reported to be pressed from post-lacquer stampers, so it seems i have a strong taste for acetate masters, and zero tolerance for dmm sound.