VR T-560 + Stanton S-150 Experiments & Questions

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

busdeez

VR T-560 + Stanton S-150 Experiments & Questions

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:23 pm

Hi everyone I know the topic has been discussed before but I wanted to create a dedicated one in this session of the forum. I just put a Stanton S-150 in my VR T560 (I've been cutting for 2 years using the classic SL1200). As many know, even if the Technics performs ok while cutting on the inside, I tried this solution to avoid the wobble issues on outer grooves when cutting soft acoustic music on 12"s. So, after some tests, some bad and some good stuff: audible wow and flutter on the outside is almost gone and comparable with the inside grooves. Bad side is the platter has a more visible run out problem due to instability and construction, it's not effecting the cuts I made, but it could with different dephts of cutting (i/e lighter or softer weight), I will keep you posted.
Before using it I was comparing it with a couple of SL 1200s, using 2 copies of the same record. The Technics keep the tempo (pitch at 0, no quartz lock on this model) with no problems, with the Stanton I noticed that even if with Quartz lock is on the strobo light seems a LITTLE slower, but the pitch is a little faster than the 1200, you can hear it after about 1 min of playing the same track. Sounds funny I know. Good thing is that the Stanton's pitch is very accurate and stable even near "0" values, so when cutting I took the quartz lock off and slowly pitched it towards +, so that when the cutter head is lowered the strobo is perfectly stable with a lot of less wobble than the Technics. It's a rough solution but it works for now and it's the cheapest I found (being that Souri is not producing any more motors and precision platters at the time of writing).
Do you know by chance if somebody would be interest/available to make a proper working and solid platter for my Stanton?Thanks!

markrob

Re: VR T-560 + Stanton S-150 Experiments & Questions

Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:48 pm

Hi,

I'm getting ready to do a new DIY lathe build and I located this eBay seller that has the capability to machine nice aluminum discs for very reasonable prices. He has a bunch of standard sizes and will do custom orders. I have yet to purchase from him, but he looks like a great resource.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TURNTABLE-PLATTER-CUSTOM-ORDERS-WELCOME-12-DIA-X-3-4-ALUMINUM-FLAT-USA/282887099499?hash=item41dd62946b:g:BysAAOSwol5Yx~Yp

Hope you find this helpful.

Mark

fredbissnette

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:08 am

an sp10 mk2 would be a great solution
Instagram @styluspressurerecords

busdeez

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:10 am

markrob wrote:Hi,

I'm getting ready to do a new DIY lathe build and I located this eBay seller that has the capability to machine nice aluminum discs for very reasonable prices. He has a bunch of standard sizes and will do custom orders. I have yet to purchase from him, but he looks like a great resource.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TURNTABLE-PLATTER-CUSTOM-ORDERS-WELCOME-12-DIA-X-3-4-ALUMINUM-FLAT-USA/282887099499?hash=item41dd62946b:g:BysAAOSwol5Yx~Yp

Hope you find this helpful.

Mark

Hey Mark thanks a lot I will contact him asap and see what he's got to offer, it might be a solution!

busdeez

Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:22 am

fredbissnette wrote:an sp10 mk2 would be a great solution
I know, but I'd rather go with the precision platter and use the sp10 to play regular vinyl, that being said it's still a 2500/3000 Euros TT:)This is my first CHEAP attempt to get things better, let's see where it takes me...Thanks!