It's Raining Recordio Lathes in California!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Which unit should I fully restore first?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:36 pm

Recordio 6B10
100%
Mystery Recordio Cabinet
No votes

Total votes: 1

HardlyHumanFX

It's Raining Recordio Lathes in California!

Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:36 pm

I found two machines in the past week here and picked them up for dirt cheap!

One I know lots about--the Recordio 6B10. I've attached the manuals and schematics I found for it. I believe it's an earlier production model. I thought I would have to do a rebuild before having any fun with it and send the recording head to west-tech. I have purchased all of the capacitors/cutter needles online to do an overhaul. It does work though! Here's a link of a cutting I made with it! https://youtu.be/BvP16JiXoMY bear in mind, this was a recording made with an antique microphonelistening to a phone youtube video and us goofing off.

The other--Mystery Recordio Cabinet I know almost nothing about. Stylistically, I would put it in the late 1940s, early 1950s. What do you guys think? Inside it looks very robust compared to the 6B10. The recording arm is sturdy and has no flexible copper plate riding arm for the groove spacing screw. I assume this means the recordings are subject to some background noise?

I attached a poll. Which do you think I should restore first? I love them both! I'll gladly take anyone's insight about the cabinet recordio. It's fascinating! Wish I knew more!

Troll-y Yours,

Jason Anderson
Orange, California
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HardlyHumanFX

Re: It's Raining Recordio Lathes in California!

Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:08 pm

You guys take this revolt against the solid state seriously. You even warm up socially like vacuum tubes. lol

After some digging, I figured out the Model Number of the chasis is 9J9. It's nowhere on the chasis plate or otherwise but I found a similar machine online and requested a photo of their plate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.