Need help with Recordio...I have no clue how to fix anything

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

TonyD

Need help with Recordio...I have no clue how to fix anything

Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Hey guys I am so new to this or really any sort of electronics. About a year ago I became obsessed with cutting records and how lathes worked. I only recently picked up a record cutter. It's a Wilcox gay recordio 6A10. However it doesn't seem to really work very well. It turns on and the turn table spins but only on 33 not 45 or 78. It has the cutter head, when it's on phono it makes a loud hum and when it's on record mic/in it makes this squeeling noise. I took it apart carefully but honestly no clue what I was even looking at so needless to say it didn't get fixed. Anyone have ideas for me? I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

piaptk

Re: Need help with Recordio...I have no clue how to fix anyt

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:21 pm

::updated title to be more specific::
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Re: Need help with Recordio...I have no clue how to fix anyt

Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:24 pm

The Crystal Recordio Head is almost certainly dead, the crystals disintegrate after 70 years of non-use. And the amplifier is probably shot.

Those machines are pretty awful even when they run.

I highly recommend you ditch it and find a better beginner unit like a Presto k8.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com