Pitch Wobble Mystery Challenge!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

literal_screw

Pitch Wobble Mystery Challenge!

Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:16 pm

Hello fellow Trolls, :o

I’m having some issues with pitch wobble that I haven’t been able to resolve and was hoping I could pick your brains and bring your considerable talents to bear.

I’m going through the last 8-10 black units of my most recent shipment of blanks from the fine folks at MyShank, and can’t seem to cut the first side (the less perfect side) without pitch wobble. While lower frequencies, such as male baritone vocals seem to be fine, higher frequencies are affected (acoustic guitars, harmonicas, pianos, as well as ambient sounds.)

I assumed it was simply a warped blank issue because when I did test cuts, which I mostly do on the side of MyShank’s blanks that are mostly always flat, because, well, they’re mostly always flat, what I heard sounded great.

The reason I’m no longer sure the blanks are to blame is because I have some clear units too (also from MyShank) that looked completely flat, but when I started to cut one just now, I experienced a very similar pitch wobble.

Could it be the precision plate needs calibrating, and if so, how exactly would I go about correcting that? Though if it’s the precision plate, why are my test cuts coming out

Could it be that this issue stems from the inner motor assembly not spinning evenly due to a lack of lubrication, and if so what type of oil would I use for this? But again, if its a lubrication issue, why do my tests come out great?

Needless to say I’m a little stuck here as to what my issue or issues are here, much less how to solve them so any help in the short term would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing your insights and drawing upon your wisdom. Thank you!

Setup Specs:

- VR T560
- SL-1200 MKII
- “New” Resharpened MyShank diamond
- 2mm MyShank blanks
- Stylus weight, 15g-17g
- Counterweight 40g-50g
- Precision plate from Souri

Thanks again!

:wink:

punkrock

Re: Pitch Wobble Mystery Challenge!

Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:44 am

Is it very cold were you live? Do you pre-heat your blanks? I don’t... I had a simmilar problem two months ago with Souri’s blanks. After destroying a bunch of them I tried something which worked in my case: I placed the record on my 1200, heated it to around 37 degrees celsius, then I turned it over, heated it to 37, then I started cutting. Problem dissappeared!