Hi all, so I've finally entered the cutting world...

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Lee Nova

Hi all, so I've finally entered the cutting world...

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:58 pm

Hello all, new to record cutting but not to studio production/recording and live sound. I'm also a 78 collector/DJ. I've been lurking the forum on and off for 6 months soaking up info, and waiting patiently for a lo-fi cutter in my (meagre) price range for small scale use, mainly for my local musician friends and my own DJ sets, and I finally have a machine!

It's a HMV 2300H Portable disc recorder from around 1945, perfect for my hobbyist needs and a proper bargain at £50! It's had some mods in the past and has lost its dedicated record amp but it runs and the arm traverses correctly. The head has continuity and hopefully after some new damping and a good clean will do the job. It needs a full clean, rebuild and servicing of the rumbly motor but it's a damn good start :D

I'll start a thread on it when I get into it a bit deeper and I'm ready to ask for some advice but I'll use the search function first lol.

Hope lockdown's not being too taxing for you all, take care, Lee.

Lee Nova

Re: Hi all, so I've finally entered the cutting world...

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:41 pm

I forgot to add a big thanks for all the useful information shared here, much appreciated :)

dubcutter89

Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:44 am

Hi Lee!
Congrats on your new old machine - hope you'll have some good times cutting records with it!
I actually saw the auction and was thinking if I should go for it, but probably it would have ended on the long waiting list of things to work on so I didn't bid...
Happy you grabbed it and diving straight into this!

Cheers
Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

Lee Nova

Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:42 am

Hi Lukas, thanks mate, I've just about calmed down enough now :D, thanks for letting me have it lol, I guess no-one else could make it down our end of the Country to collect it. I have a fair pile of projects too but this went straight to the top, I'll give it the respect it deserves and keep it going for another generation as these seem especially rare. Keep an eye out for the amp please :lol:

CutR

Thu Oct 08, 2020 12:39 pm

Snap! I have the same lathe with the original but modified cutting amp. I paid way more then you and mine does not work :roll: Purchased without any power lead as it did not come with any. Now on the hunt for someone capable to modify the lathe so it can finally be powered up.

Quick question if i may...
I've noticed that your powering the lathe from the socket that usually connects the lathe to the amp, i see what i assume is the main plug coming out of the socket.
How did you get it working like this?

Under the taped bit of paper on your lathe is the original power connector pins which you can see on my lathe below
This is where the lathe is supposed to be powered from, so I'm really happy to see you have powered up using an alternative method.