Transparent blanks behaves differently when cutting

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

blackmoondivision

Transparent blanks behaves differently when cutting

Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:51 am

Hi Trolls,

hope you are well and healthy!

Issue: Found out a transparent blanks behaves differently when cutting on T560. This may apply to any cutting machine out there.

With black blanks from Souri I normally cut on 40 degrees, stylus heating set 10 to 20 degrees. all good
With black blanks from MyShanks I normally cut on 25 degrees, stylus heating set to around 10 degrees or slightly more. all good

Recently tried to cut transparent discs from Souri and MyShank but having same issues.
Noise floor is overall higher than with black blanks, but most noticeably first 10 mm of the cut. Middle section and end are within the limit, but still noisier than on black blanks. What's even worst, one every second or third blank the cut material is building up around stylus making cut even noisier.

Anybody experiencing similar or same issues with transparent blanks?

Greetings from Prague, Czech Republic!

trailerparkjesus

Re: Transparent blanks behaves differently when cutting

Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:51 am

I do find black blanks are quieter. Although, clear shouldn't be giving you a huge noise floor difference unless your stylus is coming to an end. Make sure to measure heat from outside of the blank and heat from outside, clears take forever to heat up.

blackmoondivision

Sun Dec 20, 2020 9:06 am

trailerparkjesus wrote:
I do find black blanks are quieter. Although, clear shouldn't be giving you a huge noise floor difference unless your stylus is coming to an end. Make sure to measure heat from outside of the blank and heat from outside, clears take forever to heat up.
Thanks for the tip. I actually measured temp. around 5cm from the edge, so there was around 5 degrees difference. Yes the transparents takes forever to heat.

nikc

Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:27 am

trailerparkjesus wrote:
Hi Sorry it been a while since you wrote this. I am having same trouble with clear blanks. I am getting swarf stuck to record and wondering if I am not measuring temp right. What do you mean by measuring heat from outside the blank

Thank you
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

blackmoondivision

Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:20 am

Measuring from outside means - point your temp measurement devise to 1 - 2 mm from the edge of the record, where you start cutting. you need the correct temp especially on the edge of the record. Right temp on the edge = no problems with clear blanks.

nikc

Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:45 am

Hello

OK got it thanks for the advice.!

Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

nikc

Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:54 am

Hi
Yes now my stylus is a bit older (not too old.maybe 40 hours) am getting floor noise with clear blanks and no noise with black blanks.

This is speculation but using the laser thermometer on clear blanks (myshank) its saying 26 degrees, but perhaps it is less than that. It could be getting the reading from the matt behind..( the laser on the thermometer is going through the clear blanks and bouncing off the matt behind.) . I wonder how I could test this?
Best
Nik
(Pearl Home Records)
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

nikc

Sat Jul 17, 2021 1:57 am

Ps I have been measuring on the edge. Though maybe not close enough
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records