Complete newbie seeking guidance

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Alecwall26

Complete newbie seeking guidance

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:34 am

Hello! Excited to be a part of the forum and to be starting my journey into lathe cutting!!

I recently picked up a Presto K-8, it powers on and spins, but there's no cutting head and one of the amp tubes isn't functioning.

I really just need to be pointed in the right direction to find the cheapest/best value components I need to get from the point I'm at now, to cutting records myself.

I know I've got my work cut out for me, but there's no amount of time I'm unwilling to put in for this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

soeffingodly

Re: Complete newbie seeking guidance

Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:56 am

You can always use an external amp to power the cutter head. You really need to find a cutting head though. I do have some experience with a K-8 as it was my first lathe. I'd be happy to chime in and help where I can.

Good luck.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

Alecwall26

Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:02 am

Hi Soeffinggodly,

Thanks for the reply and offer of help. Am really wondering how I can tell if an amp of compatible with this machine/ what to look for in an amp and the same with a cutting head. Would it make more fiscal sense to buy a cutting head or build one?

Thanks again for the help. I'm sure a k-8 isn't the easiest starter experience for me but any other lawyer seemed unachievably expensive.

Jesus H Chrysler

Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:17 pm

There's a manual uploaded in the references forum, it should have a schematic for the amp. Off the top of my head I think the tubes you need are 2 45 triodes, 1 80 rectifier, and 4 6v6s? But check out the schematic, I could be wrong on that. Probably a good idea to recap it too. Piaptk can probably hook you up with a cutter head.