without stylus heat

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

nikc

without stylus heat

Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:13 am

Hello.

When I first got my diamond stylus, it cut very good without stylus heat. Stephen from myshank said this would be the case.
Now after many cuts there's is a slight squeaking noise on the record. I have got stylus heating set up, but suspicious its not hot enough.
Is this the kind of noise you would get without stylus heat (squeaking) on a slightly worn down diamond?
or could the squeaking be from somewhere else.

Best W

Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

soeffingodly

Re: without stylus heat

Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:57 am

I assume you are cutting with a VR?

Sorry for the dumb question. Have you tried re-calibrating the needle/head again to see if it fixes the issue?
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

nikc

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Hi Thank you very much for the reply
And yes sorry, more context. I am cutting with a MSS lathe, which has a mono head. and cutting onto myshank vinyl with a myshank diamond.
No I haven't re calibrated the needle.
I will have a look at tha, i have done any adjusting for a while. The tip looks ok with the microscope. not that I'm an expert on that.
I guess I was just wondering, without the stylus heating what would the expected effect be?

Regards

Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

nikc

Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:11 pm

sorry I mean i haven't done any needle adjusting/lining up for a while
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

aaron

Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:24 pm

I only use heat when the stylus starts getting dull. When I use heat with a full stylus, I don’t get squeaking, I usually get kinda more background static. Like you’re playing a beat up record. Then I switch on heat and it usually clears it up (until it’s too dull)

nikc

Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi Aaron, Thanks that's great to know. I will play with various amounts heat to see the difference. And so the squeaking is probably something else. its quite quiet, but annoying on the silent grooves (eg,run in groove).
Best
Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records

PMST

Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:57 am

I had a issue with squeaking once, I found it was stylus position and weight combination, after taking stylus out, back in and recalibration it went away. Hopefully it’s just an easy fix with that and likely not heat related

nikc

Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:42 am

Hi PMST
Thanks that's great to know its good to match up noise issues to problems. i have already adjusted the angle to the record slightly a it wasn't 90 degrees, ans am looking to see if it rotated a bit next.
I have changed my lathe from an idler wheel, which had a rumbling noise that transferred onto the record, to a belt system. so far the torque seems fine

Best

Nik
Nik Clifford
Pearl Home Records