DIY lathe , new to this , what am i doing wrong ? :)

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Nedelcu Constantin

Re: DIY lathe , new to this , what am i doing wrong ? :)

Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:14 pm

Hi ilovedrums247 , yes the screw is M3 and the cutterhead can lose some weight . Mrd i still work on this project but when it will be ready probably i will upload the stl s on this site , if the moderators are ok with this . I continued to work on my recorder , embossing way and i made some improvements such as a second wheel for lead in , lead out and space between the songs , decreased a lot of the cutterhead weight ( thanks Jesus H Chrysler for the tip :) ) so now the speed is more stable and the highs are a little bit better , a wider chassis so i can use bigger turntables , in the video i use a Numark TTX , added a rack vu meter , a gate compressor , in the recording is not used , a better mixer and few other minor modifications ( the colour :)))))))) ) . Still mono recording , hope not for long time . All the parts are printed with PLA on an Anet A8 . The song used in the video is by John Junior & Silviu Andrei - Together (Original Mix). Believe me or not i made some records for my friends and they where more than satisfied , mostly because they listened them on cheaper turntables :) . Here is a video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on3Jy3H3Y_g
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mrd

Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:41 am

Nedelcu Constantin wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:14 pm
Hi ilovedrums247 , yes the screw is M3 and the cutterhead can lose some weight . Mrd i still work on this project but when it will be ready probably i will upload the stl s on this site , if the moderators are ok with this . I continued to work on my recorder , embossing way and i made some improvements such as a second wheel for lead in , lead out and space between the songs , decreased a lot of the cutterhead weight ( thanks Jesus H Chrysler for the tip :) ) so now the speed is more stable and the highs are a little bit better , a wider chassis so i can use bigger turntables , in the video i use a Numark TTX , added a rack vu meter , a gate compressor , in the recording is not used , a better mixer and few other minor modifications ( the colour :)))))))) ) . Still mono recording , hope not for long time . All the parts are printed with PLA on an Anet A8 . The song used in the video is by John Junior & Silviu Andrei - Together (Original Mix). Believe me or not i made some records for my friends and they where more than satisfied , mostly because they listened them on cheaper turntables :) . Here is a video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on3Jy3H3Y_g
Great stuff! Thanks, particularly interested in the cutterhead files at the moment. Got a couple of overheads and no stereo :)

Nedelcu Constantin

Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:21 pm

Hi , I attached here a compressed file with the stl.s and some photos of the embossing head , based on the one made by Souris . For connecting the cones with the needle support i used 1mm carbon fiber rods , also 1mm carbon fiber rods from the needle suport to the cilinders and for connecting the head to the transport section i used a 8mm aluminium tube . The needle is made from 1.6 mm tungsten rod . Everything is glued with a cyanoacrilate gel solution , Mitre Apel AC 400 .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

reservox

Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:55 pm

Hi Nedelcu,
Great Job!, great sound !
I am a recent newbie in this forum and I am starting to build my own lathe cut.
I am having problems with needle noises (and the sound is bad). I am following the recomendaciones of this forum. The speakers what I,m using are normal 2-way. Could this be a problem? Should I buy tweeters? (the mechanism works more or less well, I think, and the needles I am using are made of tungsten. I also apply the Riaa equalization)
Thank you in advanced

Nedelcu Constantin

Tue Mar 23, 2021 8:05 pm

Hi , i have to dissapoint you but i'm a newbie too :) . I can only help you with informations about my project , on this forum are other users with infinite more knowledge than me . I use car tweeters Peiying PY T 59 , i emboss with a tungsten needle , first i used a cone shaped at 90' with 180 grams weight and since few days i tested , and apparently it works , a cone shaped at 45' with 50 grams . Material for blank is polycarbonate , heated with a infrared lamp or a hairdryer at about 35-43" C . First i think you should read from A to Z and understand this post : https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8328 . There you will find lot of answers and might make you more interested about this , or , make you have second thoughts :) . Anything you want to know about my project , ask and i'll help as much as i can .

reservox

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:28 am

thanks for the info. I’ll follow your tips.
All the best!

reservox

Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:43 am

just a question
what measure is the thickness of the blank polycarbonate?

Nedelcu Constantin

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:54 am

For 7'' i use 1 mm and for 10'' i use 1.5 mm .

mrd

Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:30 am

Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:21 pm
Hi , I attached here a compressed file with the stl.s and some photos of the embossing head , based on the one made by Souris . For connecting the cones with the needle support i used 1mm carbon fiber rods , also 1mm carbon fiber rods from the needle suport to the cilinders and for connecting the head to the transport section i used a 8mm aluminium tube . The needle is made from 1.6 mm tungsten rod . Everything is glued with a cyanoacrilate gel solution , Mitre Apel AC 400 .
That's great! Many thanks :)

soeffingodly

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:42 pm

Hey there, you should really try embossing with Mike (piaptk's) embossing sapphires. Get the blank warmed up, use some lighter fluid on it to clean the polycarbonate and then let it emboss. That was how I would do it on my old Presto with 1C head anyway. Got some quality cuts with good needle tracking.

Mike's sapphire needles are pretty fantastic and won't set you back $200 like a diamond for hifi will.
"I wasn't lying. Things I said later seemed untrue."

Nedelcu Constantin

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:57 pm

Thanks soeffingoodly for the tip :)

soeffingodly

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:05 pm

Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:57 pm
Thanks soeffingoodly for the tip :)
No worries. Mike will take care of you. Also, keep in mind it would be lighter fluid first and then heat up the blank. 8)

Looking forward to watching your progress! Well done so far.

Nedelcu Constantin

Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:13 pm

Was it heating first or lighter fluid ? :)))))))) thanks again :)

Nedelcu Constantin

Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:11 am

Some more tests , still problems above 10khz , probably the 3d printed parts are not rigid enough .

reservox

Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:51 am

Hi Constantin
The metal rod that goes through the cone tip..., must reach up to the tweter?, I mean, should it be glue to the tweeter or in the air inside the cone and only glued to the tip of the cone?
Thank you and sorry for my english

Nedelcu Constantin

Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Hi reservox , the rod , i used a carbon fiber one , is glued only on the tip of the cone , it goes about 5-6 mm inside the cone , it does't touch the membrane of the tweeter .

reservox

Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:44 pm

Many thanks Nedelcu, you save me !
All the best

soeffingodly

Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:08 am

Looking forward to hearing your latest updates after getting some of Mike's sapphires...

Nedelcu Constantin

Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:41 pm

Hi soeffingodly , sorry for the late reply . Now i work at another version of the lathe , stil embossing . Can you tell me what is the diameter of the needle in the mounting area ? Now i use a 1.6 mm needle but i can modify the needle holder .

soeffingodly

Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:02 pm

Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:41 pm
Hi soeffingodly , sorry for the late reply . Now i work at another version of the lathe , stil embossing . Can you tell me what is the diameter of the needle in the mounting area ? Now i use a 1.6 mm needle but i can modify the needle holder .
I have a VR so the needle is different. (short versus long shank) I am not sure if the diameter is the same or not.