Wilcox Gay Recordio questions

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

aeallen1997

Wilcox Gay Recordio questions

Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:41 pm

Hello all! Recently got my Recordio fixed up, including the cutter head. Was really excited to pop a disc on there and... the recordings didn't come out so great. I was recording from the radio, and I can hear the signal, but there's a huge amount of surface noise. I know the Wilcox-Gay machines are lo-fi, but it's a lot even for that. When the stylus is cutting a disc, there is a high pitched squeak which doesn't sound right, either.

I'm thinking this might have something to do with the angle of the cutter stylus, but that's the only way it will fit in. (See the attached photo.)

Additionally, the final piece of this puzzle is adapting the input/microphone plug in the back for a modern microphone or to plug in a computer. This particular unit has the two plug input which has a ground and a live line. I know which one is ground, but I'd like some advice on how to build an adapter to plug in a 3.5mm plug to get outside audio into the machine. (See second attached photo.)

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Kat

Re: Wilcox Gay Recordio questions

Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:22 pm

Are you using an antique audiodisc? Those tend to dry out over time and I believe they don't work very well with a standard steel needle.

emorritt

Re: Wilcox Gay Recordio questions

Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:19 am

Judging from the chip you're getting and the photograph of the cutting stylus, it looks like you have it in either backwards or sideways. The flat face has to face the motion of the disc; e.g. if you look at the stylus from the side (like your photo), the flat face should face backward toward the cutting arm. The flat side of the shank of the stylus should be flat against the setscrew. Also, just tighten the setscrew sung, don't crank on it or you could break the crystal element. If the stylus is in the cutting head as it should be, it well could be a dried out recording disc. The surface might still look nice, but the lacquer has dried out and the disc is unusable. I've successfully cut some old discs with a sapphire stylus, but steel tends to just mangle the coating. Stellite might be an option; I've seen these come up on eBay now and then. I think I see the flat side of the shank in your photo facing the camera; it should face forward meeting the setscrew. This will put the flat cutting face in the right direction. If you've tried using the stylus this way, you might need a new one as running it in the wrong position will damage the tip.