My best Gakken toy recordings (thanks Lathe Trolls)!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

SquirrelMonkey

My best Gakken toy recordings (thanks Lathe Trolls)!

Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:40 am

I've read many tips on this forum to make better recordings and I tried most them. It worked!
See the attachments for the results. If people have feedback I can learn from, please let me know.

Still have to try the microwave and ZIPPO fluid methods.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

discosdecorte

Re: My best Gakken toy recordings (thanks Lathe Trolls)!

Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:44 pm

Amazing! Congrats! 🙌🏼
🄳🄸🅂🄲🄾🅂 🄳🄴 🄲🄾🅁🅃🄴
www.instagram.com/decortediscos

realtime

Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:24 pm

Hi SquirrelMonkey!
That’s pretty impressive. :D
Did you make any mods to the recorder or was it a matter of fine tuning the recording process. I read that the Gakken has no equalisation. Did you pre-process the audio files to optimise the sound?

SquirrelMonkey

Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:24 am

realtime wrote:
Hi SquirrelMonkey!
Did you make any mods to the recorder or was it a matter of fine tuning the recording process. I read that the Gakken has no equalisation. Did you pre-process the audio files to optimise the sound?
Yes I pre-processed the audio files. Also, Audacity has under "speed" A function to convert rpm. I converted my sound file from 78 rpm to 33 1/3 and I recorded that on the gakken in 33 1/3 RPM. I play it on a record player with 78 rpm. I used a blanQ blanc instead of the Gakken blancs. Soon I am going to try the Zippo fluid trick. Maybe it will make a difference.

concreteutopia

Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:24 am

SquirrelMonkey wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:24 am
realtime wrote:
Hi SquirrelMonkey!
Yes I pre-processed the audio files. Also, Audacity has under "speed" A function to convert rpm. I converted my sound file from 78 rpm to 33 1/3 and I recorded that on the gakken in 33 1/3 RPM. I play it on a record player with 78 rpm. I used a blanQ blanc instead of the Gakken blancs. Soon I am going to try the Zippo fluid trick. Maybe it will make a difference.

I agree, this sounds pretty good. Did you emboss or cut on the Blanq's?

naloisio

Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:10 am

These sound amazing SquirrelMonkey! I've just received a handful of blanQ blanks and am hoping they provide this level of quality on the Gakken.

Do you mind sharing your process for getting such clean, noiseless recordings? I haven't been so lucky in my tests to get such a clean recording.

Thanks!

LennonG

Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:13 pm

That recording sounds amazing! Can you explain how you mastered your audio before recording with the Gakken record maker?