Unidentified Presto Turntable

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

guyface

Unidentified Presto Turntable

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:28 am

Hi everyone, for my first post I wanted to ask everyone's best guess as to the model number for this Presto turntable. And if that's not possible to determine from the minimal pics I have of it, maybe at least an approximate date. It's part of a retired radio broadcast employee's collection, within which there were a few 40's/50's RCA consoles, and other audio/broadcast related equipment of comparatively high quality. My assumption is that, if he kept this for all these years, there was probably a good reason. Any thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

guyface

Re: Unidentified Presto Turntable

Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:53 am

second to my original post, here are more pics which I just received of the turntable. Does this help anyone to identify it? Thanks for the advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

piaptk

Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:57 pm

It's the same turntable as on a 75a lathe. I have one without the cutting arm as well, but it didn't come with a model number either. Mine had a small bodine motor rather than the Westinghouse. The turntable probably isn't all that desireable due to the tire drive around the platter. Those tires dry out and get dings in them and are rumbly.

That Gray tonearm is worth some big bux, though. At least $800-1000 depending on condition.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

rsimms3

Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:38 pm

Looks like this one has been modified for 3 speed, the original was 2 speed, 78/33. The capstan/pulley on top of the motor shaft should have 3 steps on it instead of two in order to achieve 3 speeds. I think I've seen another one before modified for 3 speed operation.