First step to everything!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

meiko

First step to everything!

Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:05 pm

Hello everyone, thanks for having me here!
Its my first time I write to here, so excuse me if I do any mistakes.
As I say Im just starting on searching about DIY record cutting, and there are lots of stuff I do not know. I searched in the forum for things, but some of them are still not that clear to my mind.
What I would really like to know, its, if there are some cheap Cut heads I can buy, or a simple cut head I can make by myself. (My full time job is building atmospheric electricity sensors, so I have some skills in engineering).
I do not care at this stage if the sound will be MONO or STEREO, Im just very high on the idea of cutting my first record at my young age of 26.
If you have any design on a simple cutting head for the first time it would be really cool. For now I dont worry about the moving part, I know (or I think) it would be not that hard for me to make it.

Thank you in advance!
Vasilis

Dogtemple

Re: First step to everything!

Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:38 pm

Hi

You need to do a lot of reading on this forum to get your head around it properly. The idea of how it is done is very simple, much like sending a man to the moon is a simple idea, but the nuances of making it happen are pretty complicated.

I’ve been reading nearly daily since this time last year and still have more to figure out.

On the plus side I have designed a couple heads which I am confident in (but yet to complete) and just started designing a mono head having been inspired by a recent thread on here.

As far as I know there is no easy route to record lathes, either you pay loads for one that’s sorted or put in loads of time and effort in to making your own.

They’re very rare and hard to find even in bad condition so finding a cheap usable one, or even just the head, is going to be hard but it is possible. Took me ten years to find mine and it needed totally refurbing and many parts were missing, including the head.

The only cheap option would be the gakken toy record maker from Japan. But you don’t get great quality and it is more of an educational toy more than anything.

It’s an interesting subject to get stuck in to though!

meiko

Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:34 pm

Thank you Dogtemple!
Yeah I understand thats why I think I should make one from the beginning...

piaptk

Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:39 am

meiko wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:34 pm
Thank you Dogtemple!
Yeah I understand thats why I think I should make one from the beginning...
Why "Make one from the beginning" if you've never actually seen one up close to know how it works? I would personally buy a starter lathe and cutter head, learn all the nuances and mechanics on that, and THEN once I have a full and working knowledge of how each adjustment and piece work, I would build something. Hard to reinvent the wheel if you've never used one.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

meiko

Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:26 am

Hi Piapkt!
No problem on that, but where can I buy a cutter head?
Thanks!

piaptk

Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:44 pm

They are around. Depending on what you want, I have some lathes and heads available. Mike
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

dash

Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:38 am

Hi there Michael. I live in Australia and have been researching record cutting on and off for a cpl years. I would simply pay money to have a stereo record cutter for 12 inch vinyl, im no sound engineer or electronics guru however I'm not strapped for cash however like 20 grand is over the top, I'm spewing the vestax machine or vinylium machine is no longer available. is there anything else I can get. the T560 seems viable but I have read and been on your Facebook group etc and Souri and covid. and me being is Ausaint gonna happen

MEGAMIKE

Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:59 pm

Hi dash are you in Perthias if so pop round :D

dash

Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:46 am

Hay mate im aure we sent an email or 2. hay so ive had an oppurtunity to bye a T560. is this the machine you use? would i be able to question you about a few things. i have your phone number here i will give you a call. id love to see whats involved