line level signal 2 high impedance signal?

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

CutR

line level signal 2 high impedance signal?

Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:36 am

I've just started using my HMV 2300 lathe and cutting amp for the very first time and have done a couple of test cuts using the original 78 looking needle that came with the lathe on to some CDs. But to get any audible sound back on playback i have to crack up the playback amp connected to my SL1200 TT and the level on the cutting amp is near maximum. It then dawned on me that I'm feeding a line level signal from my mac's line output to the cutting amps high impedance input. Is this the reason for the low volume on the CD?

Whats the best way to convert line level signal to a high impedance signal?

dubcutter89

Re: line level signal 2 high impedance signal?

Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:49 am

Hi!

Actually input impedance and signal level are 2 different things..
But if you say that the level on the cutting amp is near maximum (I assume from a jumping VU meter on the map) then there is 2 things:
- either the power amp is weak (like having end of life power tubes or so...)
- or more likely the cutterhead is weak (lost its magnetic force over the past decades)
(also maybe the old needle, CD, Technics, etc combo is not helpful for a system that might have designed for different purpose...)

That's what I would look into.

Lukas
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

CutR

Re: line level signal 2 high impedance signal?

Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:05 pm

Hello dubcutter89 and thanks for your response.

I gave one of these lo Z to hi Z adapters a shot and it did indeed boost the signal a lot. and now it's kinda too much. On the cutting amp i can't push the level much over a quarter way from 0 with the source at full volume from my mac. Reducing the source level allows more volume increase on the cutting amp but this is not resulting in more volume on the CD, No matter if the source is high, low or medium volume I keep getting the same volume on CD

Regarding the cutting amp, it and the lathe were both PAT tested and passed with flying colors, but I'm starting to think maybe the head needs to be rebuilt, the audio coming through the head sounds clean but there is barely any notable vibrations on the needle that i can feel. so I'm guessing that the damping material must have dried up.