Presto 6n overhead / feedscrew problem

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

andyburnout

Presto 6n overhead / feedscrew problem

Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:26 am

I bought this 6n last year but have been really intimidated by it but I've finally got around to trying to get it up and running. Today was my first day I've managed to put audio to disk but I'm having issues with the finger holding the feedscrew it keeps slipping out then causing the cutterhead carriage to bounce and drop when it slips back in.

Here's a video on my issue, any pointers would be appreciated.

[YouTube2]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zen5r-1oqxc[/YouTube2]

piaptk

Re: Presto 6n overhead / feedscrew problem

Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:09 pm

You either need to clean schmutz off the knife, or adjust the brass pin at the back of the carriage that rides on the lower backbar so that thr ftont of the carriage overhang (and therefore the knife) hangs a little lower. Mike
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Re: Presto 6n overhead / feedscrew problem

Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:21 pm

Your knife may also be bent or have a burr… take out the feedscrew, and run your finger across both edges, see if you feel a rough burr. You may need to take it out and clean it up with a file or a dremel sanding barrel.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com