Hi All, Guidance on steps to take going forward

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Will Alfred

Hi All, Guidance on steps to take going forward

Sun May 08, 2022 7:20 am

Hi All,

Excited to join here and learn as much as I can from all the great info available. I've been producing music and running and independent labels releasing records for the last 10 years (playing/performing for 20ish) and been wanting to take this next step into cutting records for a while. There's been some crazy delays in the UK getting records pressed and small labels like my own and many of many friends here have been feeling the brunt of it. I would love to be in a position where i could provide short runs for myself and friends labels as at the moment a lot of the small artists we want to releases isn't feasible for a 300+ run. Which is a real shame, a lot of talented people out there!

I've just moved into a new studio space and am finally in a position I can purchase and set up a lathe. I was hoping to hear peoples thoughts on steps to take going forward on this journey. Currently I have purchased the basic disc manufacturing book online which I feel is a good place to start. I'm also reading and watching as much as I can on the subject online. I've been wanting to do this for years since I first sat in on the mastering/cutting process for my first labels release and want to dedicate the vast majority of my time to learning this and perfecting it as much as possible. I have an obsessive tendency when it comes to learning things so any information resources people can throw at me the better!

I was also hoping to get peoples opinions on where to purchase a lathe. I would rather get something I can record higher fidelity stereo as I would rather buy once and it last me than multiple times. And if anyone knows of someone I could speak to or learn from in person would love to hear :) I am based in London, UK.

Many thanks, and look forward to getting to know you bunch on here!
Will

SueDenim

Re: Hi All, Guidance on steps to take going forward

Sun May 08, 2022 8:00 am

Hi Will,

Welcome to the madness! Great to have you here.
From what you say, it sounds like you are at a similar point the where I was 10-15 or so years ago. I'm UK-based too and always happy to talk about all things lathe/disc mastering related.
If you PM me, we can get into more lengthy details than on a simple forum post.

Speak soon!

piaptk

Sun May 08, 2022 11:37 am

If you haven't already read it, there is a lot of starter info here: https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8328

I buy, restore and sell lathes as my primary business... Just got back from installing one in Bristol and one in Edinburgh last week. Unfortunately I don't have any in stock right now for stereo diamond worthy lathes because they sell before I even finish restoring them, but if you want to email me through my site www.recordlatheparts.com, I can get you on my list of interested buyers.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Will Alfred

Thu May 12, 2022 7:16 am

SueDenim wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:00 am
Hi Will,

Welcome to the madness! Great to have you here.
From what you say, it sounds like you are at a similar point the where I was 10-15 or so years ago. I'm UK-based too and always happy to talk about all things lathe/disc mastering related.
If you PM me, we can get into more lengthy details than on a simple forum post.

Speak soon!
Hey, thanks for the warm welcome! Will send a PM :)

Will Alfred

Thu May 12, 2022 7:19 am

piaptk wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 11:37 am
If you haven't already read it, there is a lot of starter info here: https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8328

I buy, restore and sell lathes as my primary business... Just got back from installing one in Bristol and one in Edinburgh last week. Unfortunately I don't have any in stock right now for stereo diamond worthy lathes because they sell before I even finish restoring them, but if you want to email me through my site www.recordlatheparts.com, I can get you on my list of interested buyers.
Hey! Yep have been working my way through that post and learning what I can. Thats great thank you will email on your site. How often do stereo diamond lathes pop up in your experience?