Hi All, my first Post. Saludos desde España.

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

basssss

Hi All, my first Post. Saludos desde España.

Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:33 pm

Hi Lathe Trolls !!,

I am reading tons of information ( here ) , and asking for all the necessary material to build a lathe. I am solving many doubts with members in private (I take this opportunity to thank Estrada for all his time and help), and today I have decided to write my first Post.

Now I am faced with the counterweight dilemma. Which system is more effective to cushion and to be able to exert those 12 or 15 grams of force on the Blank ? And how could I measure it? (I understand that with a Sprin meter, but I don't see how to do it with the cutting head attached to the Rail).

I take this opportunity to ask, is the My Shank website open ? It's been two weeks since I opened an account but it hasn't been enabled.

Thank you very much in advance, and I'll keep you informed of my progress... and surely, it won't be my first post asking for help!. I hope to learn a lot from you.

Saludos !.

12bitcuts

Re: Hi All, my first Post. Saludos desde España.

Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:34 pm

Bienvenido!
I don't have answer to your counterweight dilemma but I am planning to build a custom lathe next year to compliment my mono 7" cutter setup.
Interested in what options and solutions are out there.

BTW: I order supplies from MyShank and the site appears to be open.

Look forward to seeing what you build!

Fela Borbone

Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:37 pm

Hello,
I measure the pressure or weigth of the stylus against the blank with an scale. There's dedicated scales for turntables, this measure has to be made at the stylus (not other par of the cutter head) and at the same level of the blank, outside the disc.
But I don't really need to do it, just was curious.
When cutting, (plastic and diamond) I adjust the spring knob so the head is "floating" without touching the blank. Slowly release tension so it lands on the disc and then the swarf start to form. Carry on until I see it too thick, then I turn back a little the knob. At the microscope confirm that the groove has the rigth size. You can compare with a pressed record for reference. I don't care about the Weigth.
When embossing, I just dig as deep as I can before the groove turns noisy. I use instant playback while recording, to check this noise, but it can be evident too without the need of playback. Again, I don't feel like measuring the pressure or weight.
About if is better a counterweigth mass o spring, I find more practical the second.
An spring may add resonances but I never experienced any problem with that in my Rek o kut. In my approaches to a mass counterweigth, I found it more problematic to adjust it while recording. The spring is the best choice for me. Other well experienced recordists may not like springs, they may have their reasons, this is just my opinion.
I found the spring method really easy to implement in my prototipes. There's lots of pics around about how it looks like in presto and Rek o kuts. Just sand two opposed sides along a threaded rod, pass it thru an rectangular hole and drill a small hole at the bottom, to hold the spring. Use a knurled nut (or knob) at the top to adjust pressure. This way, the rod moves up and down, but does not turn.
Saludos desde Valencia!

basssss

Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:05 pm

Thanks for all your answers. Very interesting methods .

I'm printing the 3d parts , a very slow process XD !. I'll post pictures of assemby.

Thanks !