Vanrock (Atom) Platter Motor / Canon BA52-H106

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

12bitcuts

Vanrock (Atom) Platter Motor / Canon BA52-H106

Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:15 pm

I am looking for information on the platter motor used by the Vanrock (aka Atom) 101 cutting lathe.
I own 2 units and one of them is significantly louder than the other and although it spins ok, it appears to be running a little rough even modulating the groove as it cuts with the vibration / noise its generating as it spins.
I've lubed all other points of the lathe (except the motor) and the noise is definitely coming from this motor.

The motor is labeled CANON MOTOR BA52-H106
Canon Seiki Co. LTD
I could not find any info online.
I assume BA52-H106 is the model number, both Atom & Vanrock lathes have this same motor.

I want to know if this motor can be lubricated or serviced in the hopes of making it quieter and run smoothly again.
Is there a location or suitable opening to drop some lubricant and what kind would be recommended if so.
Any ideas on a suitable replacement?

No info on specs so all I have are pics, maybe somebody is familiar with this motor and has an idea?
Wiring looks like beast of a job but I am up to it if I can find something that will work as drop in replacement (my guess is it won't be that easy).

Thank you Trolls

emidisc

Re: Vanrock (Atom) Platter Motor / Canon BA52-H106

Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:52 pm

I would try this site https://prec.canon/en/products/ironcore.html
They appear to still manufacture many types of motor including custom models you may just get lucky!
Emidisc

12bitcuts

Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:10 pm

Yeah I tried reaching out in an attempt to find a modern equivalent, so far no luck but will keep digging.

Anotehr thought was if an Arduino controlled (stepper) motor can work?
It actually doesn't directly spin the platter at the spindle, it turns another smaller wheel that grips the rubber belt which is attached to the platter.

Evan

Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:29 pm

Hey! Any update here on your findings? I think I’m having a similar issue with my 101 I just got. When the platter moves back and forth from standing to recording positions it makes a wicked almost grinding noise