Hello Trolls!

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Dr. Datamosh

Hello Trolls!

Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for about a year, but this is my first post. I learned how to cut lathe records in 2015 at Mike Dixon's lathe camp (highly recommended if you get the chance!). At that point I wasn't ready to purchase a lathe, but I wanted to learn the process and make records of my own music.

In 2021 I began outlining a concept of digi-physical records where digital content could be embedded into the record via NFC chips. This not only eliminates the need for digital download cards, as the DL link can be accessed by scanning the record with a smartphone, but this also opens the door for more experimentation with other digital features. I'm a big fan of Easter eggs, which lathe cutting already leaves a lot of room for, but adding the digital content provides another layer to dive deeper.

I was able to purchase my first lathe, a Presto 6N, about a year ago and have been loving every minute of it! This really has been a dream come true - huge thanks to Mike for sharing his knowledge and helping me get setup. Looking forward to learning more from this community.

Thanks for all of the useful information here!

CutR

Re: Hello Trolls!

Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:14 am

Dr. Datamosh wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for about a year, but this is my first post. I learned how to cut lathe records in 2015 at Mike Dixon's lathe camp (highly recommended if you get the chance!). At that point I wasn't ready to purchase a lathe, but I wanted to learn the process and make records of my own music.

In 2021 I began outlining a concept of digi-physical records where digital content could be embedded into the record via NFC chips. This not only eliminates the need for digital download cards, as the DL link can be accessed by scanning the record with a smartphone, but this also opens the door for more experimentation with other digital features. I'm a big fan of Easter eggs, which lathe cutting already leaves a lot of room for, but adding the digital content provides another layer to dive deeper.

I was able to purchase my first lathe, a Presto 6N, about a year ago and have been loving every minute of it! This really has been a dream come true - huge thanks to Mike for sharing his knowledge and helping me get setup. Looking forward to learning more from this community.

Checkout pentlandsound's DIY build which goes into much detail = > https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9187&start=20#p60434

markrob

Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:52 am

Why not just print a QR code on the label.

Another idea would be to record a digital watermark in the audio that you would extract with a smartphone app.

You can also emboss onto CD-R and the digital side still reads fine.

No hardware like a NFC chip needed.

Mark

Dr. Datamosh

Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:29 pm

CutR wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:14 am
Dr. Datamosh wrote:
Hello everyone,

Checkout pentlandsound's DIY build which goes into much detail = > https://www.lathetrolls.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9187&start=20#p60434
Oh cool! I'll check that out. Thanks!

Dr. Datamosh

Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:33 pm

markrob wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:52 am
Why not just print a QR code on the label.

Another idea would be to record a digital watermark in the audio that you would extract with a smartphone app.

You can also emboss onto CD-R and the digital side still reads fine.

No hardware like a NFC chip needed.

Mark
QR codes are much more limited and can be duplicated, whereas the information on the NFC chips I use are secure. Scanning the chip on the record reveals a webpage that is only accessible to someone with physical access to the record itself (even if the URL is copy/pasted and sent to someone else, it will just open a blank page).

Digital content can also be sent directly to the record itself too, so it's constantly evolving over time.

So, totally agree that a QR code could get the job done for many digital features, but it's much more limited.

Love the digital watermark idea!