Newby questions 60Hz noise Vinyl Recorder

Introduce yourself! Recommended for people who are just starting out, as opposed to experienced lathe cutters who are new members.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

TenerifeViniloRec

Newby questions 60Hz noise Vinyl Recorder

Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:34 pm

Hello trolls!

I'm David, I've been using a vinyl recorder for a year. thanks to this forum and several people I have learned enough to be able to cut at good levels and acceptable quality. It's the first time I speak here. I have not taken the Souri training course so from the beginning this forum is one of the few references I have to learn from.

Now I'm looking for a solution to a noise I have from 60Hz down that is quite annoying. The last thing I did was cut a silence with the cables that go to the head disconnected from the amplifier. My surprise is that I still have noise. So I think is a mecanical noise. I only have the Main Unit plugged into the power strip provided by Souri, and the Technics 1200, the lights and the vacuum cleaner are in another outlet.

I have read several posts about powering the main unit from two different sources, I have not opened it but I read in that post that there is a cable that would have to be disconnected and the other board should be powered from another source. Is this the only solution?

There is a ground connection on the platform where the technics are placed that I don't use at all, should something be connected here? Is it possible that this is the problem?
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 19.08.07 (1).jpeg
Also tried removing the ground from the main unit and also from the amplifier.
As the noise continued, I left them with the ground connected again.

I don't usually work with stylus heat, but I think that the times I have done it the noise persists.

I leave some samples of the cut: (the silences are with +12dBs so that they can be appreciated more.

1- Silence with main unit and technics connected (with photo of the analyzer.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jEsI38mlojqXflENd8JJDJtHCvrL0fps/view?usp=sharing
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 19.08.07.jpeg
2- Silence with main unit, technique, mixer, pc, audio interface, speakers, etc., connected (with photo of the analyzer.)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1_dH3TDzsmcX_zxSyEqqezEZRAUpXTFbX/view?usp=sharing
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-27 at 19.08.06.jpeg
3- Sample of the beginning of a track at a good level.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dsFZjxijquDC9Rzz6E1cDTARfu3Saqol/view?usp=sharing

If anyone can help me or guide me to somewhere that explains the same.
Sorry for my english an the translation.
Thank you so much.

David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PMST

Re: Newby questions 60Hz noise Vinyl Recorder

Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:48 am

Firstly, that isn't the motor noise, the motor noise is quite distinct as is due to the main unit EQ piggy backing from the pitch/heat motor. Definitely worth separating the power supplies anyway, PM and i can talk you through it. Also on the test with everything plugged in there is added earth hum, that is worth looking into. Again feel free to PM and i'm happy to help.

Can you run off another test with no cables plugged in at all except the motor, all audio unplugged totally including the main unit, and with plenty of diamond heat. It sounds to me like your diamond isn't in good shape either, so get the heat up around 25/30 on the red dial, and do another silent test cut. Just wanting to do it methodically before making assumptions, it could be diamond, it could be turntable bearings etc, but i'm not convinced it's earthing issues as you can radically hear the difference on the 2nd files when you everything plugged in, then you have an earth hum for sure.

trailerparkjesus

Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:42 am

Also, remember vacuums can wreak all kind of havoc in the audio chain. Usually it is more of a buzz than a 60hz though. Just a word of advice, don't run through Souris main unit or eq if looking for super quiet and accurate cuts. Just create your own compensation/IRIAA EQ in your daw that is unique for your lathe.

TenerifeViniloRec

Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:03 pm

Thank you very much for helping me PMST!

I have cut a silence as you have told me. Only the Main Unit and the Technics 1200 connected to the power. The audio input and output cables are disconnected from the Main Unit. Only the multipins that go from the Main Unit to the head and the motor are plugged in. I tried the Technics audio cables both ways, plugged in and unplugged.
There is still the same noise from 60Hz and below.
The 2 lights and the vacuum plugged into another outlet. I also tried turning off one of the lamps at the end of the cut and the noise continues.

I used the stylus heat and the noise in the highs goes down, with the dial at 30 the difference is noticeable in the mid-highs but the low-end the noise continues.
Then I turned on all the devices you can see that the noise increases very little but on the analyzer it is almost not noticeable, the same image as in my first post.

I have never changed the needle and I have cut 100 records, I will have to learn how to do it one day but I would like to know if I can try something else first.

You told me hthe problem could be in the Technics, I have tried it with 3 different ones and the noise sounds with all of them.

The next thing that i think to do is to try plugging everything into a UPS which I have to stabilize the electrical signal .
I would also love to try cutting without the vacuum to check the noise dont come from the vacuum but I don't want the stylus break.

Should I change the stylus? The power supply of the Main Unit? Does the ground of technics have anything to do with it?

I've also thought about what trailerparkjesus says about bypassing the Souri system for audio, but even without audio connected the noise is there. So I would like to first resolve the noises without audio connected.

Thank you very much, if you consider that these are topics that we have already discussed, I can follow the thread privately. Since I am working every day to resolve it, I believe that with your help we can resolve that.

Thank you so much,
I am attaching audio samples with and without heat with Main Unit and Technics connected, and another with everything connected and with heat in the needle.

Main Unit and Technics connected without stylus heat
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kXg-0v7HPqeLRTw0CB2LD5nn5Ckn9d6p/view?usp=drive_link
Main Unit and Technics connected with stylus heat
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wa8IwwKMs--G2EMUgbFJuM_7CB6EotGe/view?usp=drive_link
Everything connected with stylus heat
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C_aRK1OnbatGfT9kxHLX0RzGEIH-w_QG/view?usp=drive_link