Lathes and then some... Help appreciated!

Stuff not covered by the other...Forii? whatever. General goofiness. (You should not post here unless you've been contributing elsewhere on this site.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

FingerPie

Lathes and then some... Help appreciated!

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:32 am

Hi guys.

Many thanks to Steve who has been very accommodating in allowing me to make this enquiry that isn't specifically about lathes.

I am the creator and administrator of www.fabbeatlesaddict.com and I'm currently writing articles for vinyl collectors. One of these articles
concentrates on vinyl production in the 1960's at the EMI pressing plant in Hayes, UK. I've already researched and written about recording
and mastering at Abbey Road with lots of references to Scully Lathes and the master cutting legend, Harry Moss. The rather wonderful staff at
Abbey Road were able to assist me with this. However, moving on to writing about production has proven to be a veritable minefield with my
research hitting a wall of either vague or ambiguous information.

I specifically need to know about pressing machines of the era and in particular how STAMPER plates were fitted to the moulds. I am looking for
images, drawings, schematics or even some really nice written descriptions. If anyone can point me in the right direction or assist me in any way to answer
this question it would be most appreciated.

Many thanks guys.

Adie Brown (FingerPie)

W.B.

Re: Lathes and then some... Help appreciated!

Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:45 am

As far as EMI's mastering setup went in the days of "tube" equipment, they used a circa 1950-55 Scully for cutting mono records (lead-out spirals spaced at 3.69 lpi for "slow" 4-pitch and 1.92 lpi for "fast" "45 finishing" 2-pitch), and a post-1955 Model 601 (here at 3.92 lpi and 2.04 lpi, respectively) for cutting in stereo; I did see a photo of Hazel Yarwood in back of the stereo Scully.

There is an article somewhere on the web relating to UK Beatles LP and 45 pressings as to the age of the various presses the Hayes plant used, and the significance of the molds which were based on the G R A M O P H L T D principle:
G = 1
R = 2
A = 3
M = 4
O = 5
P = 6
H = 7
L = 8
T = 9
D = 0
meaning, as one example, the 72nd stamper would be signified by 'HR'. This practice lasted into the 1970's.