A Cautionary Tale

Stuff not covered by the other...Forii? whatever. General goofiness. (You should not post here unless you've been contributing elsewhere on this site.)

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Soulbear

A Cautionary Tale

Mon May 09, 2016 10:56 am

Hi Trolls,
Ah now, My cutting related activities are for the moment on a temporarily short pause (I hope) and here I find myself at a loose end, and so I've ventured into the "Treehouse" a sub-forum of "The Discotheque" which I find most apt. Over the years I've D.J'd at many a Soul Venue here in the U.K. I even recall selling to a Forum Member, the now Internationallly Renowned but then an up and coming young Soul DJ called Chris King, a "London American" copy of "It Keeps Raining" by the brilliant Fats Domino ( Early- Mid 7Ts @ K.G.B- Sheffield Chris ??). And whilst most Venues never embraced the "Bubble Machines" and "Flashing Lightshows" of the more "Commercial" contemporaneous Discotheques, they were, however great places to meet Like-minded Soul Music Aficionado's, who enjoyed having a Dance and sharing their stories of when and where they'd made their latest Soul-Music related purchases. The more obscure your Artist, Title, or Record Label purchase. the more Highly Regarded and Authoritive you were held to be as a Soul Music Collector. Whilst never reaching the "Upper Echelons" of Soul-Collector Status, I did however amass quite a Tidy number of "Top-Flight" mainly U.K. issued collectable Tunes. My fun was to be had Seeking Soul Tunes Out, mainly finding them Second-Hand and not costing a Kings Ransom, I never ever subscribed to the Philosophy that the most money meant the Best Collection. Apart from being very expensive, wheres the Fun and the Challenge in that? Here's a Snap Shot of perhaps 1/10th of my Vinyl Collection
Soul Tunes.jpg
As mentioned in the title of this Post, this is a Cautionary Tale, and it relates to ill-advisedly making a visit to a Commercial Discotheque for perhaps the first time in 30+ years. These places are best left to the Young People, and the Able Bodied. I was trying to get into the spirit of things by doing as the DJ Suggested. He said to do whatever the record says, he then played Van McCoy's"The Hustle" So I did the "Hustle" he then played Chubby Checker's "The Twist" and I did "The Twist" I was grabbed by the Bouncers, or "Stewards" as they now like to style themselves, and un-ceremoniously "Kicked Out" about half-way through Dexys "Come On Eileen" :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll get my coat!! :wink: :P :D Soulbear
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

studiorp

Re: A Cautionary Tale

Mon May 09, 2016 11:41 am

Compliments for your lp collection ! Wow... Can I ask which type of turntable do you have for play all this treasure ?

Soulbear

Mon May 09, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi Studiorp,
Up until very recently I used a Garrrard 401 with an Acos Lustre Tonearm, not quite an S.M.E.3012 Tonearm, but really quite OK. A Little while ago, I traded the Garrrard 401 for a Technics SP10 which I am currently thinking of using as a Lathe Drive Unit, so at Present my Hi-Fi Turntable is a rather nondescript Gemini something or other, My Amplifier which I've had forever, (Like the Units Pictured) is an "Old School" Brushed Aluminium Toshiba SC-335 at 40Watts RMS/Channel, mated to a Toshiba SY-335 Pre-Amplifier. I like this set-up so much, that I bought a spare Toshiba Amplifier and Pre-Amplifier of the same type, in case I ever hit problems with the existing units. I like too that Switching to Mono is done at the Flick of a Switch which might prove useful as a Cutting Amplifier with either my Webster or "Ugly Duckling" Mono Cutterheads. The Loudspeakers are Acoustic Solutions Cabinets (I forget the Model Number) @ 150Watts RMS/Channel with 2x 8" Bass, 1x 5"Mid + Tweeter. The thinking used to be that the Speakers Power Handling should be Greater than the Amplifier Output, but nowadays it seems that the reverse of this is what's now recommended, I can't keep up!! I thought a little while ago about pushing the boat out, and getting myself some Higher Specification Audio Gear but, but, but, I love the connectivity afforded by the Toshiba Set-Up to Record Deck, Tape Player/Recorder In-Out, Radio, CD Player, and my Sony Audio CD Recorder/Playback too. The Loudspeakers Sound Good, better Fidelity than my hearing can discern, and besides I have some "Old School" Headphones, which I think are Quite a Civilised way to listen to Music, particularly the odd classical piece which I have a sneaking appreciation for too. :wink: :P :D Soulbear
Toshiba.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

studiorp

Sat May 14, 2016 3:31 am

I love old hi fi machines, amp too. For me are and will be always the best . Today equipment aren't so good as once...
Very cool your Toshiba pre + amp.
I have an Acrosound tube amp stereo to restore, but working. Once I had too the pre, but then has been sold.
Thanks.

mischmerz

Sat May 14, 2016 10:42 am

Hahaha .. that reminds me. I financed my way through college working as a professional DJ during the eighties. I worked my way up into the largest clubs DJing for large crowds of thousands and more. I made quite some money had promo contracts with a lot of major labels who provided me with hundreds of free records each month. But clubs started to hurt and didn't want to pay big bucks for pro DJs anymore. Since I didn't compromise I left the club scene, did some radio work - but without the crowd, it just wasn't the same. So I left that part of my life behind me. Unfortunately - I also left my records behind me. And that parts bothers me. A lot. But .. that's life :)

Michaela

Soulbear

Sat May 14, 2016 2:01 pm

Hi Michaela,
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear, the loss of your records must be painful. Lordy, when the odd tune of mine got purloined whilst I was distracted when out DJing It was grievous to me, and even having to sell some of my "Collectors Pieces" to make ends meet on the odd occassion, during some hard times, still causes me pain!! To loose the WHOLE of your collection must have been an absolute nightmare. I have stuff from around 1954 by the Spaniels - "Goodnight Sweetheart" through Tommy Edwards - "It's All in the Game" and even earlier stuff by Big bill Broonzy, Billie Holliday, Jack Teagarden and others + a lot of 6Ts output from Detroit (The Motown/Ric Tic stuff mainly), Philly, Chicago and L.A. and lots of Southern stuff from Stax in Memphis and the Muscle Shoals-Alabama set up too. To me they're totally priceless. I tend to associate venues and places, life events, friendships (And sometimes Romances - Shush!!) happy and even sad times, with the Music, and I think thats what makes it special. I guess if we didn't care much for Vinyl we've joined the wrong forum Te He! Over 50 years I've been collecting Records, and I care not what others say about the simplicity of making a digital download, I like the fact that my music storage is done on a Physical Medium and is a Tangible Artefact, that can be handled and viewed and in many cases includes brilliant artwork. I keep hearing that the "Vinyl Revival" will run out of steam, but from where I'm sitting I think its just getting its "Second Breath" :wink: :P :D Soulbear

mischmerz

Sat May 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Yes - Soulbear .. it's kind of sad. Because quite a few of those records, especially the promo records, never made it into the market. I had a number of those few test pressings to be played and judged in the clubs. But well - I too had some tough times and needed to part with valuable possessions in order to keep going. But - as they say in the old country "water under the bridge" . :) And my records were mostly disco anyway - not very valuable. Most of the songs are available at your favorite mp3 downloading site. So - the melodies are not lost. Some are even available on 45rpms on Ebay for a few bucks. And I have to confess - I bought quite a few back. Love to spin them in one of my jukeboxes.

m.