Neumann VMS Half Nuts for Sale!

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

opcode66

Neumann VMS Half Nuts for Sale!

Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:41 pm

Yes, that is correct. Neumann VMS Half Nuts for sale. Newly made reproductions of the originals. I spent a lot of time and effort researching this part and how it was originally made. These reproductions are as close to a NOS part as you will ever find. I will continue to have lots of them produced so come get yours!

The price is $320 plus shipping. If interested please contact me here or via my web site http://www.deepgroovesmastering.com

The Original Half Nut used for measurements.

And, the reproductions...

Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

Serif

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:38 pm

Is that made out of Macadamia or the harder Kola nut?

Seriously, that's way cool cloning, Opcode66. I am curious about the substance it's made of - why it's white and slightly translucent, like a shaved nut, rather than made of something that looks like metal. My Scully "feed nut" is metal. Your VMS original looks the part. The NOS looks a little like Lindt or Toblerone white chocolate.

It isn't nuts.... to ask, I mean, is it?

Or even "half nuts?"

- Andrew
Last edited by Serif on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nickou

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:41 pm

interesting and useful ... but I think very expensive even if there is no other source. At the same time, I have no idea of the cost to build that

are they compatible with am32 ? I believe they are identical ...

opcode66

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:43 pm

Valid questions. The Neumann Half Nut was originall made of Nylon. Not metal. These reproductions are also made from Nylon.

Truly the only difference is that the older one is yellowed from age. You know how plastic gets over time...

I understand that a lot of old lathes used a knife edge of metal applied to the lead screw. However, this is not the case in the VMS systems. Nylon half nuts. This has long been the achilies heal of the Neumann system.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

opcode66

Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:45 pm

Nickou wrote:interesting and useful ... but I think very expensive even if there is no other source. At the same time, I have no idea of the cost to build that

are they compatible with am32 ? I believe they are identical ...
There is a slight markup but that price reflects the cost to have them made. I had to have a special tool created in order to make the threads. They are very specific. Sorry it is not in your price range...

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but yes I do believe they are identical. There was also a round version that I'm working on for the next batch.

gold

Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm in for a round one. Did you do the reverse engineering measurements? How were the threads measured?

opcode66

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:02 pm

I contracted a company in California that specializes in making parts like this. They made the measurements on the original. To make a round one, all I need to do is take a measurement of the diameter of the half nut and I can make the round variety. Everything is the same.

To give some background. I originally thought the part was injection molded. So, I was going to have it laser scanned and a CAD file created from the scan. I pursued duplication in this fashion but soon discovered that the threads could never be injection molded to that precision. So, I abandoned that route.

After speaking with a number of people I concluded that the parts were actually machined from a block of nylon. The measurements of the part are simple enough to take. The threads were divined using magnification and calipers. They are not standard threads. Standard thread look essentially like an equilateral triangle. These threads are more like a 30/60/90 right triangle. They are made to interlock with the threads on the lead screw and therefore have an orientation to them. That is why the original has a red dot on it. Mine simply have a divot in the same place to indicate orientation.

After a lot of conversation and a test run I have half nuts that are for all intents and purposes the same as the originals. The slight markup I've added covers my investment of time in this project and also my initial investment in having a lot reproduced. This company was not cheap however I think their work is phenomenal.

Serif

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:24 pm

opcode66 wrote:...The Neumann Half Nut was originall made of Nylon. Not metal. These reproductions are also made from Nylon.

Truly the only difference is that the older one is yellowed from age. You know how plastic gets over time...

I understand that a lot of old lathes used a knife edge of metal applied to the lead screw. However, this is not the case in the VMS systems. Nylon half nuts. This has long been the achilies heal of the Neumann system.

The LS-76 "feed nut" is brass and has several threads which mate squarely with the threads of the "feed screw." Here's a picture of a spare I found in the shop safe (dirty, but illustrates the shapes):

I notice that on the VMS nylon design, there is an indentation in the middle of the half-circle, which is square and dips in about 1/4 an inch.

There is no such indentation on my spare metal one, so I was wondering if that is for how it mounts to the lathe, or how it is fabricated, before use?

Cheers,
- Andrew
Last edited by Serif on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

gold

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:44 pm

Serif wrote: Or is it that it sacrifices iteself, rather than wear down the more costly leadscrew threads?
I think that's it. Since you can engage and disengage the half nut you wouldn't want to drop a metal half nut on metal threads. I believe the VMS80 has a metal lead screw nut. It can not be disengaged. The only way to move the slide is electronically with a lever so it won't mash the lead screw.

Measuring threads is difficult. I'm glad it was left to professionals.

opcode66

Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:53 pm

gold wrote:Measuring threads is difficult. I'm glad it was left to professionals.
Quite true. This project has been in the works for about a half a year now. It was not rushed by any means. I was just tight lipped until I had units in hand that I was satisfied with.

I gaurantee your satisfaction or you can return the part for a complete refund.

Nickou

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:12 pm

opcode66 wrote: Sorry it is not in your price range...

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but yes I do believe they are identical. There was also a round version that I'm working on for the next batch.
it is only some grams of nylon , this is why I said that ... in is not out of price , and if we speak about ot of price things , every part of the vinyl record process is out price ... and I have no idea of the cost you had to do that ...so ...

I cut masters since 12 years now ( thanks to flozky and Jvo ..!) and in this time I had to recut 2 side after plating process , so lets say 2 side of plating + 2 lacquers + shipping etc ...
I don t know how many laquers , would say beteween 10 and 50

conclusion ... If your new part does not give new problems and cure the old one , it s a good investment ...

Nickou

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:34 pm

I did some test between lathe and I think than halnuts for am32b and am66 are the same. But I never check with tools.

The problems I have wich are comming from the half nut are totaly iregular ... easy to cure and very difficult to prevent
It can be source of noise in the record , etc ..
so yes , if they work , it s cool to have the possibility to buy a new one ...

opcode66

Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:50 pm

Nickou wrote:so yes , if they work , it s cool to have the possibility to buy a new one ...
The Euro is doing very nicely compared to the Dollar. With the conversion rate in your favor, the price might be a little more tollerable.

It is like a diamond stylus. I can't believe I pay $350 for such a little thing. Especially when a sapphire is only $85.

It is only a few grams of Nylon. Highly engineered Nylon. But, yes I see your point. :wink:

mossboss

Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:42 am

From my experience in the USA I can assure any one here that this is a fair cost for a machined product
Mostly if you want to buy anything mass produced USA its the lowest cost in the whole world
If any one there to make anything for you Than you better brace yourself regardless if it is a bit of Nylon or a bit made out of rare earth or exotic material gizmo
No way any one there in my experience will look at anything that will take some thought as well as machining without the clock ticking at $85-100 per hour
Than when it needs a lathe or a milling machine as this thing does the clock is wound up so it ticks along at double the above rate
Molds that we can buy here in the EU for x, they cost x by two in the USA there is nothing special about them either and the exterior is rather badly finished where the ones ex EU are a dream to look at
Internally they are just as good
So at least some one here has taken the trouble of providing a source of a consumable not available for years
Lucky I still have a few originals remaining in my collection of spares
cheers
Chris

dietrich10

Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:09 am

Thanks Opcode for doing the work
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

andybee

Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:15 pm

I want to buy one, but I don´t know, if it fits on my
AM32b, anybody knows this exactly ?

Thanks!!!!!

Nickou

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:36 pm

My brother has a vms66 and I have a am32b
I did some test of compatibilty , and I think they are the same ... ..
exactly the same ? I would say probably yes ...

opcode66

Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:55 pm

Nickou wrote:My brother has a vms66 and I have a am32b
I did some test of compatibilty , and I think they are the same ... ..
exactly the same ? I would say probably yes ...
Thanks for looking into this.

andybee

Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:27 am

so, my halfnut arrived, thanks!
my first view is positiv, I think, it fits, nut has the same geometry
as the screw...
When I have time...... :roll: I do the replacement!
thanks opcode66 for the nice work!

opcode66

Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:48 am

Fantastic! Remember the direction the dot is facing on the old one when you remove it. Make sure the new one is put in with the same orientation.

Thanks again!