EBAY: Scully lathe/Westrex 3DII

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

petermontg

EBAY: Scully lathe/Westrex 3DII

Thu May 17, 2012 9:26 am

Last edited by petermontg on Sat May 19, 2012 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

audadvnc

Thu May 17, 2012 9:45 pm

Looks pretty beat, but I'd bid on it if I needed one.

fraggle

Fri May 18, 2012 3:54 am

why is this always the wrong type of sculy for fu.. sake... :)

petermontg

Fri May 18, 2012 7:20 am

Yes, poor condition seems to be missing inside out gear lever also, unless is has been taken off with not much use for it. Head is untested, all sort of problems there. Amps seem to be a mess. Am sure with some TLC it could be made to work to some standard again. And am sure the little cap for platter suction is not there.

A project for someone with some spare time maybe.

dietrich10

Fri May 18, 2012 7:27 am

Two heads in any condition worth over 2k. major project here but if stays around 4k decent deal IF you can fix it all yourself
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

petermontg

Fri May 18, 2012 12:26 pm

He has only one 3D was in touch with him over details.

petermontg

Sat May 19, 2012 10:24 am

It's been withdrawn :shock:

audadvnc

Sun May 20, 2012 5:25 pm

I was discussing this ebay lathe with my partner Ralph this morning. I don't know what the going rate is on such a piece this week. But I am rather fascinated with the mindset of somebody who takes a piece of junk that's been sitting for 40 years in a storage closet, and expects to net prices that should only be warranted from gear that is in tip-top shape (and has a market that is making enough money to permit such prices). It may be pie in the sky for the seller and a few starry eyed bidders, but completely unsupportable for any purchaser planning to recoup his investment by committing his time and fortune to said instrument.

Do the numbers - how many sides will you have to cut before you will return to a break-even proposition? Are you a master mechanic and electronic troubleshooting tech, or will you have to find one? When stylii cost $100 apiece, lacquers $25 each, and tech time mounting into the hundreds of hours before it even works, an extravagant purchase price may take forever to pay off. How long will your girlfriend be happy with ramen noodle takeout before she decides an architect or insurance adjuster is more to her liking?

My fear is that some well meaning hobbyist will bid in way over his head and get a machine that is well past the point of no return. Old machines wear out; I'm dealing with end of life issues on ours. That ebay lathe may never run again, so don't bid as if it's sitting on the showroom floor.

A few years ago we were all hearing the experts tell us that real estate value can only go up, and if you don't buy into a house now you'll never be able to afford one. A similar kind of hucksterdom is practiced on ebay auctions. Don't be the fool who buys a hill of beans...
Last edited by audadvnc on Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maistrow

Sun May 20, 2012 5:56 pm

I have been looking for a cutting system for a few years now.
This one is in one of the worst systems I have seen.
I agree with you audadvnc, it will take a long time before
you will see any return from this lathe.
Also you need to think about the front end of the system,
such as, Eq's compressors, mastering console, monitors, studio etc.
Also most important, somebody around who can help you set
up the system.

audadvnc

Sun May 20, 2012 6:02 pm

Maistrow wrote: Also most important, somebody around who can help you set
up the system.
I think we're long past the era where we could call up anybody who knows and works with these machines on a daily basis (Len Horowitz is apparently one of the last of the breed - bring him into the conversation before you put your IRA on the line). We're more into the museum curatorial field by now, preserving what's left of the past before it disappears entirely from view.

petermontg

Mon May 21, 2012 6:23 am

Growing trend, market is booming. Every second artist/band am working with is record format only with download code. Next couple years is going to be crazy I reckon. Closet lathes are going to come out, sellers are going see the market and very little lathes left in retail and charge through the nose hoping to get a sale.

Now is the time to find a good deal, if it can be found. Have seen some over the past few months but few and far between was looking into sal74 recently chap wanted 20k€, 10k€ for BSB74 alone. You can guess I ran from it. :roll:

dubcutter89

Mon May 21, 2012 12:49 pm

Do the numbers - how many sides will you have to cut before you will return to a break-even proposition?
here's your answer:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alcue/496933635/

:D

Lukas
Last edited by dubcutter89 on Tue May 22, 2012 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wanted: ANYTHING ORTOFON related to cutting...thx

Angus McCarthy

Mon May 21, 2012 8:12 pm

petermontg wrote:Growing trend, market is booming. Every second artist/band am working with is record format only with download code. Next couple years is going to be crazy I reckon. Closet lathes are going to come out, sellers are going see the market and very little lathes left in retail and charge through the nose hoping to get a sale.

Now is the time to find a good deal, if it can be found. Have seen some over the past few months but few and far between was looking into sal74 recently chap wanted 20k€, 10k€ for BSB74 alone. You can guess I ran from it. :roll:
If it keeps rolling, it may mean there could even be a market for new (quality) machines in the foreseeable future, or is that still a pipe dream?

audadvnc

Tue May 22, 2012 8:41 am

But again, that's for a showroom new setup. You can buy a 1952 Jaguar also, but if you do, buy two - one for driving while the other is in the shop.