POLL For those that CUT plastic, where do you buy materials?

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

rsimms3

POLL For those that CUT plastic, where do you buy materials?

Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:36 pm

I've tried impressing (embossing), cutting Laserdiscs with sapphires, cut a few old acetate discs, and now want to try something that's a bit long lasting/sustainable. Where do folks buy their discs and styli (assuming most/all who cut plastics is cutting with a diamond).

Retailers I am aware of:

Todd at Deep Grooves - diamond stylus
MyShank - stylus and blank discs
RecordBlanks.com - discs
Souri - can't use him but should be part of the poll
Others?

socialroots

Re: POLL For those that CUT plastic, where do you buy materi

Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:14 am

Diamond styli and pvc blanks,fast reliable service. Myshank,in my experience ,its the best quality n combination if you wanna cut and not emboss plastic.
The shipping rate from France to Taiwan is pretty steep ,but you get what you pay for!
Maximum respect,
Patrick

handcut

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:11 pm

Myshank all the way ;) Great service - a pleasure to do business. I sincerely hope the clusterfuck we call a government don't make dealing with people on the mainland any more difficult than it needs to be...

socialroots

Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Just want to add that in Taiwan i do have a few very big manufactuers of plastics,and im talking all kinds of plastics,you name it they got it or can make it to the specs that you require,the catch is that they would not deal with you unless your talking bout ordering by the TON,even at 1 ton ,they would just tell me to buy from a local distributor,they want customers that are buying container loads!
Well this brings me to buying PC,PETG,PVC from sellers that arent dealing with a buyers from the record cutting community,so the plastic that is available off the shelf in a normal plastics suppliers inventory is very inconsistent from the point of view of flatness,even thickness,hardness,they tend to formulas made for durability,and high scratch resistance,which means that its pretty hard n probably wear out diamond stylis faster. Ive probably wasted so much time n money looking for the cheapest way,just like everybody else that loves cutting records on this forum. So i would definitly tell someone that wants to experiment with diamonds n plastic cutting(not embossing) to just go the Myshank route,they make their stylis n blanks to work for record cutting,the initial thought is "wow,this stuff aint cheap! But cutting records never is,with 1 execption,that would be plastic dinner plates with sapphire route,and its pretty damn good! If you want,or need better quality within the plastics realm,at the moment its pretty hard to beat the diamond styli n myshank combo much in the same way as buying lacquer n sapphire stylis from apollo,both are tested and proven products.
Good cuts with the longest cutting life i can get from a styli is the objective
Maximum respect
Patrick
For me,but im a low income guy that loves to cut my music onto plastic discs!