wanted: tire for presto k-series

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Jesus H Chrysler

wanted: tire for presto k-series

Thu May 13, 2010 11:09 pm

mine has somehow gotten out of round (swollen?, stretched? ) since yesterday and now I can't get it to run without serious warbling and I've got about 90 records to cut in the next week.

Anyone got a spare? or an idea how to make my old one work? I'm open to crazy ideas.

markrob

Fri May 14, 2010 9:51 am

Hi,

If you want to DIY it and have acess to a metal lathe, you can turn the idler down so that is it round again. Then you can find a suitable o-ring to slip over and glue to the trued up surface. If possible, form "U" a channel in the rubber for the o-ring to sit in. Finally, turn this to the correct diameter. Typically, A tool post grinder is the best way to machine rubber, but you can get away with a standard cutting tool.

If you don't want to go this way, there are people who can re-build the idler. Here are two that come to mind.

http://www.vintagelectronics.com/Rebuild.htm

http://www.west-techservices.com/p7.htm

I'd call them and see if they have any experience with the Presto idlers.

Mark

Prestofan

Sat May 15, 2010 12:18 am

Try removing the tire from the turntable - give it one twist - so is now iside-out. Put back on turntable and stretch as you go a little to get the "bumps' out.

Alan

Jesus H Chrysler

Thu May 20, 2010 11:54 pm

got it sorted. thanks for your replies.

Simon

Fri May 21, 2010 4:35 am

So how did you do it in the end.
Happy to learn something new.
Wanted: Stylus for Presto, Mono heads Grampian, Fairchild, Presto, Fairchild 740 lathes, Presto 8n, 8d 8dg lathes or parts or Presto or wot ever recording Amps, PM me what you have for sale.

Jesus H Chrysler

Fri May 21, 2010 8:03 pm

I flipped it first, but it still had a warble so i sanded the high part down with some 400 grit sandpaper. It still has a very subtle speed wobble according to the strobe disc (speeds up for 1/3 of the rotation), but its less wobble than most of my turntables have so I call it a win.