Sale stylus ruby, sapphire $ 15

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

alexsation

Re: Sale stylus ruby, sapphire $ 15

Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:44 am

Yes, that's right, if the stylus is heated, the glue begins to melt. but for those who want to experiment, I will tell you how

to glue the filament heating.
1) the shank must be heated to a state of melting glue 4-5 seconds.
2) Carefully pull stone from of the shank, it is very easy to come out
3) It is necessary to remove the adhesive from the stone and the shank
CAUTION: Do not use remover glue knife or blade can damage the stone. All styli are made in the 80-83 year.
Glue is very old, it is difficult to remove, for purification stone I used nail polish remover with nails, glue dissolves
within 5-10 minutes. Acetone not dissolve this glue !!
4)After cleaning, stone glue on dental cement, After drying the need to to reel 7-7.5 of turns nichrome wire of 0.1 mm and
apply a little dental cement perimeter stone.
The entire procedure takes about 15-20 minutes.
If someone will be in need of nail polish remover, I'll send a photo or send liquid price $ 2 + postage.
I have an old disks cut these needles,All discs have speed 33/3 turnover. The previous owner of needles, said that the cut only on the 33/3-45 speed. But they somehow was heated needle and cut very quiet groove.
I apologize for the of the curve English
Best regards, Alexey Sobolev.
http://www.vinylium.ru
http://shop.vinylium.ru

studiorp

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:01 am

Can post here some audio samples from this disc ?

rsimms3

Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:14 am

I purchased two of these styli based on the description given - untested from the Soviet era that were used to cut X-Rays and flexis. Anyone familiar with those bootleg cuts from that time period knows the results were poor, a Google search would have yielded the same information with enough digging. To me, it was worth the $37 gamble knowing that if they worked there were potentially more available based on the picture posted. If not, then I was okay with that and would use them for practice/experimenting. Embossing polycarb was a bust and I haven't tried to cut any other materials with them. To me nothing ventured, nothing gained.

If folks are upset with their purchase, you can file a claim with PayPal for item not as described. PayPal recently extended the filing time to 6 months after purchase so you could do it now or wait a bit to see if you can work it out with the seller for return/refund. I'm not sure you'll have a case based on the description at the beginning of the thread - untested Soviet era sapphire or ruby cutting stylus, need to experiment. The only assurance provided was that they would fit in older mono cutting heads. No assurances on cutting angles or usefulness overall. The old adages seem to apply - caveat emptor, you get what you pay for, and if it looks too good to be true it probably is.

Jccc

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:34 pm

Hello i purchased 2 of theses needles and they seem to work perfectly for me.
I am using them on my presto k8 with 5c cutting head. Transfering audio to picnic plates and i am getting nice loud cuts.
There is surface noise prolly from cutting onto the picnic plates but the audio over comes it.
If your into lofi sounding audio stuff then i would recommend these.

I plan on picking up more.

I will post audio of some stuff i cut using them

Jccc

Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:50 pm

Here is a audio sample of a picnic plate cut with the needle i purchased.

There is some surface noise prolly has to do with the material i am cutting on. I am sure if i was gonna cut a acetate the surface noise would disappear.

Presto Repairs

Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:46 am

I bought 10 of the 1.68 diameter shanks before the price went up (5 ruby & 5 saphire)

They fit the presto 5C & Just fit the 1C & 1D

At $15 a piece they are great for mucking around and for newbies learning the ropes

If you want high grade results you'll have to pay the price and get a ruby or diamond from places like transco and myshank...
Presto Repairs - Repair/Restoration service for Presto Recording Corp cutterheads and other similar styled brands such as Audax, RCA & Universal

Ciuens

Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:21 am

This is my embossing test with a sapphire stylus in polycarbonate disc (cd). I tried to cut, but definitely these stylus were not made for cutting. For testing and learning, was worth the investment. Now I have to buy a diamond stylus for new version of my cutting head.
https://vimeo.com/125253506