How does lathe cutting work?

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

shinyskittles

How does lathe cutting work?

Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:36 am

Hi,

I am a complete noob when it comes to this, I seen lathe cutting but I have so many questions and not 1 single video seems to explain any of my questions.
Don't even know if this is the right thread to post this in but here are some of my many questions.

- can I use BLANK VINYL records so the same material a normal record is made from not whatever lathe uses.

- Do you have to heat up your record in order to start cutting or does the T560 (for example) heats up the cutterhead itself?

- does it add LEAD IN grooves automatically when you start the cutting process and is there a gap between songs like you see on a normal record and it cuts the groove leading into the other song?
So far I keep seeing videos of people cutting 1 song....just 1 song on a record instead of lets say 3 songs on it, and why are almost all lathe cutters 10 inch, I want a 12 inch cutter.

- and does it add Run Out Grooves leading into the groove at the end of the one side cutting process?

farmersplow

Re: How does lathe cutting work?

Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:43 am

shinyskittles wrote:
- can I use BLANK VINYL records so the same material a normal record is made from not whatever lathe uses.
YES. You can theoretically cut into any material. The harder the material, the harder the cutting graver has to be and the more difficult it is to make a "clean" cut. In direct metal mastering, diamond is used to cut into special "soft" copper. PVC and Pet-G plastics are also cut with diamond gravers. Sapphire is used to cut into lacquer layers (which are applied to a carrier plate). "BLANK VINYL records are not real record blanks but vinyl pucks pressed without grooves. They are roughly equivalent to PVC blanks.
shinyskittles wrote:
- Do you have to heat up your record in order to start cutting or does the T560 (for example) heats up the cutterhead itself?
The record must be heated by a heating lamp. Usually (depending on the material) it is heated to about 38°C before the cut starts. This softens the surface of the plastic and improves the cut considerably. Many cutting gravers that are mounted in the cutting head have a graver heater. Although this has an effect on the cutting process, it is very small.
shinyskittles wrote:
- does it add LEAD IN grooves automatically when you start the cutting process and is there a gap between songs like you see on a normal record and it cuts the groove leading into the other song?
So far I keep seeing videos of people cutting 1 song....just 1 song on a record instead of lets say 3 songs on it, and why are almost all lathe cutters 10 inch, I want a 12 inch cutter.

- and does it add Run Out Grooves leading into the groove at the end of the one side cutting process?
Lead-in, gap between the songs and lead-out are no problem. Whether these are created automatically or manually by turning a crank depends on the cutting device. Some do this (MIDI-controlled) fully automatically, and with some you have to turn a crank quickly.

boogievan

Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:22 am

Your questions are mostly addressed on the vinylrecorder website. For example, on this page (https://www.vinylrecorder.com/order.html) the 19" main unit with RIAA encoder is said to provide groove control and 'stylus heating regulation'.
So, yes, the stylus is heated, even when cutting vinyl (which is an unusual material into which to cut, though is a traditional material for pressings, of course).

You can simulate 'banding' between selections on a side by temporarily increasing the feed a great deal.

You can create a lock-out spiral by stopping the feed before you stop the turntable or lift the stylus out of the revolving disk. As long as you keep the tt revolving for more than one revolution after you stop the feed, you will have cut a complete circle out of which the pickup stylus won't stray.

shinyskittles

Sun Dec 17, 2023 5:25 pm

farmersplow wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:43 am
shinyskittles wrote:
YES. You can theoretically cut into any material. The harder the material, the harder the cutting graver has to be and the more difficult it is to make a "clean" cut. In direct metal mastering, diamond is used to cut into special "soft" copper. PVC and Pet-G plastics are also cut with diamond gravers. Sapphire is used to cut into lacquer layers (which are applied to a carrier plate). "BLANK VINYL records are not real record blanks but vinyl pucks pressed without grooves. They are roughly equivalent to PVC blanks.
shinyskittles wrote:
The record must be heated by a heating lamp. Usually (depending on the material) it is heated to about 38°C before the cut starts. This softens the surface of the plastic and improves the cut considerably. Many cutting gravers that are mounted in the cutting head have a graver heater. Although this has an effect on the cutting process, it is very small.
shinyskittles wrote:

Lead-in, gap between the songs and lead-out are no problem. Whether these are created automatically or manually by turning a crank depends on the cutting device. Some do this (MIDI-controlled) fully automatically, and with some you have to turn a crank quickly.
Thanks for answering my questions, I been spending some more time reading about lathe cutting and it is very complex.
Been trying to educate myself a bit more, also been put on a waiting list for whenever Souri will release his new series.
boogievan wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:22 am
Your questions are mostly addressed on the vinylrecorder website. For example, on this page (https://www.vinylrecorder.com/order.html) the 19" main unit with RIAA encoder is said to provide groove control and 'stylus heating regulation'.
So, yes, the stylus is heated, even when cutting vinyl (which is an unusual material into which to cut, though is a traditional material for pressings, of course).

You can simulate 'banding' between selections on a side by temporarily increasing the feed a great deal.

You can create a lock-out spiral by stopping the feed before you stop the turntable or lift the stylus out of the revolving disk. As long as you keep the tt revolving for more than one revolution after you stop the feed, you will have cut a complete circle out of which the pickup stylus won't stray.
Thanks you, I am aware of the vinyl recording, even with all this knowledge I have obtained in the past few times I feel like I am not even scratching the surface, this is the most complicated hobby I ever engaged in.