wtb used diamond cutting stylus

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

dietrich10

wtb used diamond cutting stylus

Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:25 pm

as long as not chipped i am interested
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

opcode66

Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:14 pm

Why would anyone sell one that is still in working condition. Be really careful D. I bought a used one and it was total B.S. Never buying anything from that guy again. Won't name names.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

piaptk

Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 pm

opcode66 wrote:Why would anyone sell one that is still in working condition. Be really careful D. I bought a used one and it was total B.S. Never buying anything from that guy again. Won't name names.
You aren't talking about the one I sold you from Vinylium are you? That was brand new and never used or even opened...

I couldn't use it because the adapter I had didn't work quite right on the first one I had (I bought two needles at once). Never even opened the case of it, just had it sitting in a drawer.

opcode66

Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:35 am

No man. Not you.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

mossboss

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:57 am

A total waste of money as well as effort
I cannot see how this hit and miss affair with diamond cutting styli still attracts people
Unless people realise that buying them its at their peril without any support from the seller it will only encourage others to make them offer them for sale to all and sundry with doubtful results
Pot luck at best as no one would or does apply the Teldec Neumann principles in making them
We have seen the "sellers" here come and go with a trail of unhappy end users as the end result of their efforts
I cannot but draw parallels with the "low cost" small run lathe cuts fiascos of lately
Can we here at least stop encouraging these opportunists who take peoples money offering a product on the basis "you bought it you got it"
At the very least Souris product does deliver so long people stick to his line of doing business which despite its detractors it works well as time has proven to all who have his machines and stick to his rules as well as his materials without trying to short cut him out of a well earned position in the lathe cut arena
He does offer support to all his clients that obey his rules for the very reasons that he has gone through the motions and he knows what can and cannot be done that's for sure
You don't often read that a Souri diamond bit the dust after a single cut do you?
I wonder why than there is a plethora of these complains for all the other aspiring stylus makers? Mmmmmm
And buying a used one without a chip??? Mmmmmmm
Why dont one takes his wife girlfriend whatever out to a fine dinner with the money?
Cheers
Chris

piaptk

Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:45 am

Just out of curiousity, is there any real difference between Souri's Makrolon blanks and the Makrolon blanks you can buy at a local plastics place and not have to (pay to) ship it all the way from Germany? That was always my main reason to never get a Vinyl Recorder, was being required to ship dozens of pounds of plastic across the ocean. I really love the machine, but between that and the stories of people getting cut off of needles, I just couldn't ever take the leap.

dietrich10

Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 am

I am interested in buying the VR system. Thus my research
cutting lacquers-vms70 system

mossboss

Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm

I sincerely hope that no one here thinks that I have some conection with the man or I am involved with his activities in any way or form
My comments stem simply from that fact that after 5 odd years on this forum monitoring most posts by all and sundry it is obvious to me that the Souri setup offers the best compromise as cost to performance
I cannot answer any questions about his materials as I simply do not know
Needless to say that apart from his products any one that has ventured into diamond styli from others has had nothing but heartache as well as out of pocket due to disasters with them
I do know that one gets around the 300 cuts out of a Souri diamond He does stick by his product unlike all of the fly by night we have seen here
I am sorry I cannot offer any more than an observation on the matter but it seems that if one sticks with the man as well as his methods as much as people do not like his ways it seems that his clients get good results as well as a fair return
I have seen just to many hard luck stories with the others therefore the post
If the materials are specific to his product or otherwise I am not in a position to say, again I do not know
Cheers
Chris

fraggle

Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:52 pm

souris blanks are a bit harder than makrolon or lexan. i have cut both and you can see it, same setup and everything and it was a lot harder to cut deep with the souri blanks. It was more like cutting in a pressed pvd (AKA PVC) blank.

mossboss

Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:51 pm

PVD blank???? New material Boris???
cheers
Chris

fraggle

Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:06 pm

lol sorry PVC of course. as you wouldn't have realized that :)

mossboss

Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:18 am

Got Ya Fixed it as well Ha Ha
Chris