sx 68 for an insane price again:)

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

fraggle

sx 68 for an insane price again:)

Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:06 am

Serif

Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:26 am

Hot looker. Too bad it's "original." (j/k)

What's the temperature tolerance of the original glue? The price is what the rebuilt and upgraded -68 is worth, no? Still, it's a beautiful head in very good looking outside condition.

It reads, "Made In Germany." I just read that "Made in West Germany" was not imposed by the BRD until 1974. That's about 25 years worth of fibbing (1949-1974), on a national scale.

Does the SX-74 read, Made In W. Germany, like a Beetle or Porsche did?

- Hans Ohlo

Nickou

Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:29 am

Serif wrote:Hot looker. Too bad it's "original." (j/k)

What's the temperature tolerance of the original glue?
ask to peoplewhio are rebuilding haeds , and you will have bad surprise ....

mossboss

Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:11 pm

This is the 3rd time he has listed this thing He wants to retire on one sale
I did send him a link to another auction which was for 2 of them a 74 and a 68 as depicted in the pictures but the guy said they where both 74's They sold for about 5.5 k for the both albeit with one cooked coil on both of them, but it seems that it made no difference to the man
So at say 2.75 each and another 2 K repair one is still way in front
May I say that there are quite a few 68's around as when the 74 come out most people bought one and retired the 68's as spare
Be that as it may with the new materils used in rewinding a 68 as well as the better glue/adhesives used they are just as good as a 74 after being repaired
They will surpass performance of a 74 thats original not repaired due to deteoration, as well as loss of flux from the magnets
Usually called old age
ON ANOTHER NOTE
I wonder why has none of the repair guys ever went for the newer magnets that are available today
Surely it will be a vast improvement for the cutting head as magnets on today's technology will have to be far superior than magnets made some 40 odd years ago
Curious as to why not
Chris

fraggle

Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:24 pm

mossy how do you reckon is this head worth?

concretecowboy71

Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:45 pm

Any item is worth what somebody will pay for it! That wisdom was imparted to me by my father when I was a kid and stuck with me for a long time.

That being said, I just purchased an SX68 in very nice physical shape for 2500 bucks as a spare. Currently on its way to Albert to see what condition the guts are in. Serial number 427.

That seemed like a fair price to me.
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

mossboss

Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:33 am

If anything that's a very good, if I may say, a low price
Op If the head has never been opened, one can tell by the slots on the screws that hold it together, I would advise you to leave it alone
There is nothing to be gained by an internal inspection
If it is electrically sound by a resistance reading all well and good
The next step is to try it out and I would suggest a fairly quite track should be cut with it so as to assess it
Than leave it alone as it is a spare as you say
Back in its box with a bag of silica desiccant or two in there as well
One does not walk into a barbers shop asking the guy there if he is in need of a haircut
Ah well that's my view any way
Cheers
Chris