thorens unit on ebay

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Serif

Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:05 am

Looks like a <<graveur,>> but reads, <<lecteur.>> Not the Hannibal kind, either. ): hehe

Thorens pickup for rare vintage lathe.

Chouette.

- Sticki Franz

emorritt

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:03 am

I think that's a reproducer. 'Lecteur' in French means reader...

flozki

Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:11 pm

yes it is a reproducer....
not a cutterhead.

Angus McCarthy

Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:07 pm

Yes, from the description: "This head Thorens –type D200 was used for monitoring during cutting process of the record lacquer."
He's even used a Lathe Trolls thread as his reference!

https://lathetrolls.com/lathetrolls-post-7625.html

greybeard

Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:18 pm

I am sort of curious: who monitors the cut with a pickup while cutting?? I don't think the combination of poor knowledge and high price expectations is particularly pleasant. eBay is for the lay people. I wonder who gets laid.

Serif

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:31 pm

As far as pickup during cut, yes, for stylus heat adjustment. Minimum hiss, but no more heat than just that, as it may tend to increase over the cut and delivers no added benefit while risking horning.

Also, I have found that test cutting with pickup within the effective radius of the target standard, while destroying its suitability as a master, demonstrates the ability for a cartridge of known type to trace and not lift out. The Feedback signal can be monitored during mastering, per se, but this is not the whole story of the results of those deflections to make a followable path for practical pickup. As you know, for mastering, only visual inspection can be used except for real-time monitor "a la lecture électrique" outside of the zone, like around Pluto and stuff. (..that is, if I may compare the discus to the planetary orbits around ol Sol. That Science show said after going red giant and swallowing up the closest three planets, it will turn, ultimately, into a diamond. Anyway, if true, we are all turning into a conical stylus in Outer Space) My mentor indicated that it was too bad the test cut area is at a radius outside of the target dimensions, since the worst effects are closer to the spindle, where time is the same, but space is traveling more slowly. fp

Still dragging a Stanton 81S. Not too good, but it sounds great. ):

- M'aud Dub

greybeard

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:37 am

I have used the cutterhead itself as a pickup for checking on the cutting noise while cutting. In a professional setup this would make the routing of the signals more complex. In my case it has been when trying out different mastering materials, and I had the time available.
I like the constant-time--space-travelling-slower analogy, and I suspect that there is a deep truth hidden there. Come to my Higgs bosom.