Westrex 3D cutterhead, RA1700 blue amps, Fairchild lathe

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

AndyT

Westrex 3D cutterhead, RA1700 blue amps, Fairchild lathe

Thu May 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Hello all,
I collected this equipment during my DJ career 10 to 20 years ago, but got my rekokut with a Presto 1D working so well that I never had the motivation to build my stereo dubplate cutter. I have used both sides of the amp to make mono dubs, so I know that they work, but they should be serviced for any sort of professional use. The cutterhead is a 3D, serial number 79, excellent condition, in its original carry case and with an unused new Adamant stylus. I guarantee that the coils are good. The Fairchild lathe is missing some drive components and I have never set it up. It looks very much like Richie Hawtin's Fairchild 523 but there's no serial number or ID plate on it. I paid $6k US for the head and amps and would be happy to get my money back, but offers are welcome. The lathe was $400 as I recall. I have a few other bits such as a Capp stylus heater, a chip vacuum, and a couple boxes of Apollo lacquers. I'm in San Francisco and would be happy to send pictures and answer any questions.
Regards,
Andy T

audadvnc

Fri May 18, 2012 9:24 am

How about posting pictures here? We'd like to see 'em.

AndyT

Pictures!

Fri May 18, 2012 9:37 pm

Kris D

Sat May 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Hi Andy, Sent you a PM about Fairchild lathe.

thanks - Kris

Angus McCarthy

Sat May 19, 2012 2:16 pm

What I'd give for an extra $10k to throw your way. :x Someday...

TotalSonic

Sat May 19, 2012 7:23 pm

Based on the pics I'd say that's definitely a Fairchild 523 like mine - 2nd generation circa 1952 as it has the 3 speeds on it (the original 1948 version had 2 speeds).

I have a copy of the original owners manual - I could scan and post it for whoever wins that auction if this is not included already. Just email me at steve at totalsonic dot net. I'll try and get this scanned and posted up here any way.

Important for any potential purchaser of the lathe to know - is getting a Westrex 3D head to mount on the existing overhead would require some serious modifications (you would need to move the overhead bars to push them back and up from their current position). As such I would recommend anyone trying to get a stereo head to work with this to go for something smaller like Haeco SC-1 (hard to find - and the SC-2 would have the same difficulties in mounting I noted above for the Westrex 3D) or Caruso.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

AndyT

Fairchild lathe

Sun May 20, 2012 12:42 pm

The info is much appreciated, Steve. I did find the pdf on the lathe on your website which is very helpful. Mounting the Westrex head would be an engineering challenge, but I believe Kim at customrecords has been using a Westrex on a Fairchild 740 for years, so it's not unheard of. I am going to clean things up and reassemble the lathe into a crude table I built for it years ago, somebody might like to have that as a starting point. More pictures coming in the next couple days. Thanks everyone for your interest in this stuff.

audadvnc

Sun May 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Pretty sharp! That Westrex head is shown missing its vacuum nozzle. The nozzle is in the box.

MrMegaEli

Mon May 21, 2012 1:53 pm

Hi Andy,
I sent you a PM about the lathe
Eli

AndyT

UPDATE Westrex gear is sold

Wed May 23, 2012 9:47 pm

The cutterhead and blue amps are on their way to a new home. I am going to clean up the Fairchild lathe and test the motor so that interested parties have a better idea of how much work is necessary to bring it back to life. I also have parts from an RCA lathe (supposedly built as a test cutter at their Princeton Labs facility) that I have decided to sell. These include a mono cutterhead, a platter driven overhead lathe, a microscope mount, a handmade aluminum transcription tonearm, and a really crazy linear tracking tonearm. More info and pics coming soon.
-Andy