WTB: Something to get me started.

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

FFrankensteinRecords

WTB: Something to get me started.

Mon May 21, 2012 6:08 pm

I've been a vinyl enthusiast and musician for a while, now I'm looking to get into the cutting game. I've been kicking around this forum for a couple weeks reading, I think what I'd like is something like a Presto 6n or a Rek O Cut Imperial but I understand those are in pretty high demand these days. I'd love to go for anything that will cut some decent sounding records, doesn't have to be super high quality or anything. If any of you guys have some spare equipment around I'd love to take it off your hands. I'll get the set up piece by piece if need be. Also any advice will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure you guys see these everyday but I figured it was worth a shot. Thanks.

Angus McCarthy

Mon May 21, 2012 8:18 pm

First off, welcome!

Not a whole lot of "spares" hanging around these days it seems - demand is going up and up!

Probably best to get your hands dirty with something like a K-8 or K-10, especially since they're cropping up on eBay pretty regularly right now. They're serious machines, even though they may not have the "Elvis's first records" lustre of the 6N.

FFrankensteinRecords

Tue May 22, 2012 12:53 am

Thanks for the advice. I've seen some offers on some K-10's around so I was wondering what a fair price for one would be these days? I found one ended listing on ebay at 2K, is that about average? Robert VanDyke said he has a J10 but I can't find anything around about that model.

Edit- I neglected to run a search on here for the J10. Not really interested in a 78 unless it could be easily modified and I doubt that. Any experience with Langevin cutters?

petermontg

Tue May 22, 2012 5:01 am

As I always say "check with Gib first before RVD"

He might have a better deal.

http://www.west-techservices.com/

Angus McCarthy

Tue May 22, 2012 9:53 am

Prices right now are anything but average. I grabbed my K8 for $300 since it was listed as non-operational. I un-siezed the motor and am in process of replacing the electrolytics. I'll be sending the heads off to Gib for an overhaul as well, and I need to get a new rim tire made (probably by Terry's Rollers).

If you're thinking of jumping right in with a fully-restored unit, yeah, expect to pay out the nose. The problem is, there seem to be a horde of enthusiasts flooding the market right now, so prices are not necessarily reflecting the condition of the equipment.

Case in point: Here's another K8 (with a slightly higher-grade head) being sold as-is for $2k. No mat. No playback arm. No word on whether the amp even works. Prices are going squirrelly because of a few crazy eBay auctions recently.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120918387018

Then there's this other K-8 - also sold as-is - but at a very reasonable starting bid under $100. A fixer-upper for sure, but, worth the investment if you can snag it for a non-insane price.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350567824529

The market may cool down a bit, but I wouldn't count on it being any time soon.

FFrankensteinRecords

Tue May 22, 2012 8:34 pm

Yeah I won't be betting on the market to settle anytime soon. Thanks for the help and I'll keep my eyes open.

Self-lather

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:50 am

I started cutting with a Wilcox-Gay machine, and it was a good starter machine. You can usually find them for pretty cheap on ebay.

Also, if you write to Gib at West Tech, he usually has several on hand that aren't listed on his site. The price is sometimes slightly higher than average, but its worth it because its the only place that can guarantee that the machine will arrive in working condition with a recoiled head.

-Thomas
[/quote]