Al Grundy parts/treasure trove

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

chris muth

Al Grundy parts/treasure trove

Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:53 am

Hi Trolls,
A group of Al's Boyz are sorting his shop out and many items of treasure will come into play over the next several months. Once we sort gear and parts into scatagories, I'll post them. We need help getting valuable and obscure items out to people that would find them useful. Al and I talked about this when he was in the hospital, and it was his wish that his trove of unobtainium doesn't go to waste. This was 100% Al. I need help locating people who will find parts useful.

Does anyone know who owns a Scully with a Discomputer? I believe the only working one is in Holland and I would like to see if they want a big box of computer and interface cards. Know how to contact them or need cards yourself? Please send a message.

Thanks!
Chris Muth

piaptk

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:10 pm

Wow. Thats good news for a lot of people. I know Al wasnt a fan of Presto stuff, but if there are some 6n parts knocking around (dashpots, feedscrews, tonearma, microscopes, motors, equalizer racks, cutter heads, etc) id sure be interested!

chris muth

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:38 pm

Yes, Piaptk. Thanks for your interest! Al was a fan of all of it. There are cubbies, shelves, closets, benches, window sills, attics, and more, with things to sort.

Everyone, please let us work on it for a few weeks to figure out what we have. Time spent responding to requests is time not digging...
I'll post groups of stuff broken down into categories and brands over the next few months. Time to time, we will find a box of something wild and I'll ask for help on this thread to find persons in need of specific items, and really appreciate the suggestions and answers I know will flow in.

Yours in Paleo-Scattology,
Chris Muth

chris muth

CBS Discomputer cards for LS76

Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:49 pm

Let me be more specific about the mystery box I need to find a home for... I think there were only a few of these machines made (for CBS in NY). The cards are a few different types custom build by the shop at CBS. They are only worth something to those who have that particular lathe. I bet they made a dozen of them at most. I'll be able to post pics in a few days. cheerios, cm

Tripp Nasty

Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:36 pm

This might be a long shot but I'm looking for a functioning output transformer to the Meissner 9-1065 cutting head! I sent mine Meissner to Gib at West Tech and that's the only part he's having a hard time replacing. And I've been having trouble locating one myself.

chris muth

on topic

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:17 pm

OK, Tripp... Fellow Trolls, the subject is "CBS Discomputer cards for LS76" at the moment. If you know someone who has a need for these, please point them to the thread. In the future, groups of specific brands and gear will appear in lots, fotos will be posted, and eBay auctions set up. In the mean time, please don't write about specific pieces of gear you are looking for. We have to plow through systematically in order to keep the process manageable. The first few weeks, we will post obscure items that we need TROLL's help to distribute to the needy parties. During that time, we will collect the specific brands of more popular stuff and put them into groups and post those as they become available.

Al had lots of lathes and parts that will come up over the next few months, so keep this thread in your sights if you are interested in unobtainium!

all the beasts,
Chris

tragwag

Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:46 pm

chris, if you're looking for some volunteers I'd be able to come down for a weekend. Either way, thank you for endeavoring to do this, and thinking of the trolls. :)
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Virtalahde

Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:02 am

Sounds good. I have a 60's Scully coming in, and I'm going to be all eyes for spare parts.

I'm aware of one LS76 that was in Netherlands but went back to US. No idea if it had the DisComputer or not.

flozki

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:47 am

hello chris
never seen and heard from the CBS discomputer for LS76
but if we have a few pictures of the cards i can check if they are similar to the ones in my LS76.
Maybe someone labeled wrong so i can prob. indentify. i have seen most of the pitchcontrollers of scullys,neumanns...

f.

tubefan

Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:58 am

Have to post some pics, all of the discomputers I remember seeing pics of were attached to original Scullys, not LS76's... Perhaps that's a new find.

At one point when CBS in NY was getting rid of their Discomputer Scullys they would not sell the Discomputers, so the person in question got scullys with large holes where the Discomputer console would be.

chris muth

Great info

Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:12 am

Wow Guys. That's all good info. I'll be able to get pictures next weekend. We are going to line stuff up and get good photos onto a picture bucket. With the Troll's help, we'll be able to disperse stuff, get the Grundy family some funds for the collection, and not have valuable parts go to waste. All of this was Al's wish.

Thanks guys! More news next weekend. Unfortunately, we all have to work too so it will take a bit of time to get this going, but it will ramp up! We will ask for help and takers after a few weeks when the scope of the project becomes clear and items get sorted out... or is that "sordid doubt"?

cm

gold

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:49 am

Yes, I don't think they were installed on LS76's. They were on normal Scully's and I remember seeing one installed on a VMS70 from CBS Holland. The box in question is almost entirely the CPU cards. No interface cards, chassis, ect. It looks like parts waiting for more systems to be built.

chris muth

Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:13 pm

OK Flozki and Gold. Will take pics and post them in a few days. all the best,
c

opcode66

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:38 pm

I bought my lathe from Al. I really appreciated all of his gelp, guidance and advice. I wouldn't be cutting if it weren't for him. For this I will always be grateful.

If any Neumann gear pops up I would be interested. Especially cutterheads, amp cards or logic boards, and any spare parts from 70's system. They would all find a proper and permanent home with me.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

livingstone

Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:53 am

Hey ! Chris, I'll ask Lex & Maarten de Boer, both cut in Nederlands , they migth know something about this scully and if it still there or not

later ...

livingstone

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:36 am

information coming from Maarten de Boer :
"The only LS76 in Holland was Mike Fuller's one at Ted Vreman's place. He sold it back to somebody in the States.
There was a guy who bought an older Scully quite a long time ago but as far as I know not with a CBS discomputer.
The Neumann VMS70 with CBS Discomputer is still at The Record Company in Haarlem."

petermontg

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:55 am

chris muth

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:09 pm

Thanks for the help, guys! It looks like there are about a dozen processor cards and several interface cards of sorts. I'll take hi-res pics this weekend of these and other weird items (weird to me anyway... I only know Neumann stuff pretty well. Other lathes, I have to fake it!) :?:

opcode66

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:52 pm

Al gave me a copy of the manual for the Discomputer as he felt it would help me in creating my own P/D Computer system. He was correct. The manual actually contains a full explanation of the entire system including all calculations and formulas. Truly a piece of unobtainium (he also refered to the chip jar for a VMS70 as such).

Therefore, I am fairly familiar with the inner workings of the system. I copied the manual and sent it back to him. I could potentially assist someone who is looking to set one up or fix an existing one with the parts mentioned here in this thread.
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones

opcode66

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:53 pm

livingstone wrote:The Neumann VMS70 with CBS Discomputer is still at The Record Company in Haarlem."
There's a cutting room in Haarlem? Where? I've been there 6 times!