EBAY: NEUMANN VMS 70

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

bancho

Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:44 am

pheww!
checked the other auctions from this seller and it looks the comma is misplaced a little bit to the right :lol:
but the vms70 looks very nice though

petermontg

Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:39 am

How far to the right did he say :shock:
It seems to be in great shape.

Ideally I would like it to read 00,999.99USD :lol: :lol:

rabbit_tuszyn

lathe

Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:39 am

This ones comes from Flight13 Duplication in Germany, was for sale while ago but for 20k Euros :) great setup.

bancho

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:20 am

petermontg wrote:How far to the right did he say :shock:
I see the price is $99.999 ... isn't this the price for vms80? and even this is quite a lot... maybe the correct number would be $9.999...
... but how would I know. this is just a dream for me. at least I have unfunctional (for now) presto :)

opcode66

Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:24 am

Roughly $30K was the going price for a VMS70 two years ago. Though with the very high prices we've seen for gear lately, maybe that is a bit undervalued these days.
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

concretecowboy71

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:45 am

My second lathe purchased this year was well under 30k, but I did pay for shipping, a new motor and all of the other things that pop up when putting one of these things in your studio.

If that sells for 99k, mine will be for sale too!
Cutting Masters in Bristol,Virginia, USA
Well Made Music / Gotta Groove Records

petermontg

Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:53 am

It's nuts over 300% above average price.

Quick lads, presto's at the ready :D

tragwag

Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:06 pm

petermontg wrote:It's nuts over 300% above average price.

Quick lads, presto's at the ready :D
haha definitely!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

Serif

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:11 pm

ABG's Neumanns were sold, restored, and "...with a guarantee." I can hear him saying those words, still. (His Master's Voice, yes?)

This looks quite good. Has head and I think even the bottle. If it were guaranteed, with warranty service, it should be about 35k (lathe) + 8,5k (SX74) + 8,5k (SAL74) + 5k (BSR + Weiss) = 57 k USD + shipping/crating/lading/customs.

Without the guarantee, it would be worth about 1/2, since there's no telling what it is like under the hood.

Also, this is Euro market, yes? Everything is metric and 50 Hz / 220v?

Right handed model! Better call Taloowa.

- Gei Jørg

mossboss

Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:38 pm

Well
If one pays about $6K for a flexi disc with a blown condom attached to it so it "floats" why wouldn't someone pay that kind of money for a VMS
Seriously
Prices have gone wayyyy up thats for sure so it would be interesting to see where it ends up
If we ever get to know hey
I wouldn't be surprised if it hits about half or a bit under of the listing price
If so it would certainly set a new threshold of the price people may pay for a cutting lathe
Not sure if this is a good or bad thing
However it is only fair to say that professional lathes, in my view, have been under-priced for many years now
When one considers that prices for VMS 70 when new where well up in the plus 150-200K mark for a full setup it is about right that they should sell at about 1/3 to half price now days for a good working machine
100K may be a bit rich all the same So we wait and see what this listing will do if anything
There no doubt that there is demand for them out there regardless
Quite a few people do make a reasonable living out of one those machines doing something they love as well
So whats the price for happiness in your work? or is it suffering for your art?
It all comes down to the market any way, which has a mind of its own, as we all know
Cheers
Chris

Bonati

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:11 pm

This looks quite good. Has head and I think even the bottle. If it were guaranteed, with warranty service, it should be about 35k (lathe) + 8,5k (SX74) + 8,5k (SAL74) + 5k (BSR + Weiss) = 57 k USD + shipping/crating/lading/customs.
If you're going by Al's pricing this is a little off. For the price of $30k, Al's VMS70 systems included a SX74 head and your choice (sometimes) of the VG or SAL74B rack and a Zuma. A price of $35k for a lathe with no head or rack is very expensive.

Please don't ever pay $5k for that Weiss delay. I've used one - it's 44.1kHz/48kHz only. Better to buy one of Shea Ako's delays for half that price.

This Flight 13 system has always fascinated me - the digital meter mods seem to have been done well but it's a weird idea that baffles me. Probably dreamed up by a tech who doesn't cut. The analog meters are helpful in a way the digital ones could never be - the meter movement shows how the lathe reacts (both depth and LPI change) to the incoming program. It's a case where a needle shows you more about the behavior of the system than a fast-scrolling block of numbers. I'd argue those meter mods don't add value to the system, they decrease it.

Other than that, and being completely over-valued by a delusional seller, it looks like a well-maintained system.

opcode66

Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Bonati wrote:If you're going by Al's pricing this is a little off. For the price of $30k, Al's VMS70 systems included a SX74 head and your choice (sometimes) of the VG or SAL74B rack and a Zuma. A price of $35k for a lathe with no head or rack is very expensive.
Um, I wish mine had come with a Zuma. Was Al really handing those out with previous lathe restorations?
Cutting, Inventing & Innovating
Groove Graphics, VMS Halfnuts, MIDI Automation, Professional Stereo Feedback Cutterheads, and Pesto 1-D Cutterhead Clones
Cutterhead Repair: Recoiling, Cleaning, Cloning of Screws, Dampers & More
http://mantra.audio

flozki

Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:12 pm

hehe this lathe is about 5km from my place!
and to make it clear. it is not mine.but i know the guy selling.
maybe he hopes for a rich corean high-end hipster....
but for him it is more the advertising aspect.
he used to have a totally ugly green revox tangential turntable for about the same price on ebay.
lots of people freaked out, blogged and screamed on the WWW.
so he reached what he wanted.
everybody is talking about the 99k$ lathe and by the way they check his other stuff for sale, which has pretty reasonable and fair prices...

10 years ago it was not unusual that people paid 50k for a working vms70 with head and amps. and if you do regular and serious business you might spend better 40-50k for a serviced, retrofitted lathe with warrantee than one for 20k and then ou have 10 years of trouble....

well we will see for how much it goes....

by the way my summer special is:
2x VMS70 for 99k$! haha. then you got one spare...you never know..

Serif

Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Bonati wrote: If you're going by Al's pricing this is a little off. For the price of $30k, Al's VMS70 systems included a SX74 head and your choice (sometimes) of the VG or SAL74B rack and a Zuma. A price of $35k for a lathe with no head or rack is very expensive.
Last I spoke with him, about three and a half weeks ago ):, lathe prices were going up. Without him, the service is going up in price, too.
Bonati wrote: Please don't ever pay $5k for that Weiss delay. I've used one - it's 44.1kHz/48kHz only. Better to buy one of Shea Ako's delays for half that price.
You'd have got me, there... But the Weiss delay was actually to be bundled with the acceleration limiter in my fantasy / overbloated price-tag scenario. The pictures are stunning, and the close up of the cutter head showing the stylus and heater wire is inspired.

Since both are (rightly and wrongly) über-cool brand names in the world of audio (Neumann und Weiss), if working, they are worth of course whatever someone says he'll pay... Perhaps a film has to be made immediately with accurate vintage props! (; That would be Mad Props?

Now, for 100k USD, it should be a NOS VMS-80 (lathe+ cutterhead/drive package + automation + videoscope,etc...) with preview tape Studer (1/2" min.) and complete transfert desk with Ash Butler - oh, yes, and a jeroboam of Chateau Helium ? (; Ok, no cylinder.

Cheers,
P. Ralh

-------------------------------------------------------------
This Flight 13 system has always fascinated me - the digital meter mods seem to have been done well but it's a weird idea that baffles me.

The LS-76 uses red digital numbers for LPI (like Nixies) but the Depth reading is needle gauge analog showing Volts (for the Volts-to-mils correlation of 1-to-1, basically). Also, the Stylus heat meter is analog needle swing, in miliAmperes (while actually only naming the deci-Amperes, and having lines and distance for guessing the in-between amounts).

Two more cheers,
Tech Nick Uhl

Flight13_duplication

Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:53 am

HI.

When I sold it, it worked perfect.

The meter of the pitch is really crap in it´s digital way. The old man who changed it (and from who I bought this lathe) did not cut much. I think he made this just for fun. But the digital meters for heating and tension of the depht is quite good.

Anyway: I sold the old meters with the lathe. So they should still come with the machine if the swiss guy did not sell them otherwise.

After all I have to say that this lathe opened everything for me. It was the starting point. very good machine.

I guess he only placed it on ebay with this price in order to discuss via PM about a realistic price.

But I do not know.

Cheers.

Bieber

Phinster

Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:02 am

Gee...I'll sell you a VMS 80 with SAL 74B and a head for half that!!

Serif

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:03 am

Phinster wrote:Gee...I'll sell you a VMS 80 with SAL 74B and a head for half that!!

Pictures, please?

-Serif

Phinster

Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:49 pm

this is in storage at the moment...when we put it together I'll take some pics
and put it up on the site.