The 78 Project feature length documentary seeks your support

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

realex

The 78 Project feature length documentary seeks your support

Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Inspired by the field recordings of Alan Lomax, The 78 Project (http://www.the78project.com) is on a mission to record today’s musicians with yesterday’s technology. With just one microphone, an authentic 1930′s PRESTO direct-to-disc recorder, and a blank lacquer disc, musicians are given the opportunity to make a recording anywhere they choose, finding in that adventure a new connection to our cultural legacy. The 78 Project has now launched a Kickstarter campaign to help fund a 78 Project feature length documentary. To support the campaign and find out more, please visit this link: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/the78project/the-78-project-feature-length-documentary-film

We are also very keen to hear of your own experiences with Presto recorders and history, perhaps we can film you speaking about them.

Thank you for all your help!

piaptk

Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:58 pm

I cut a LOT of sides on a Presto 6N in Olympia, WA. I've done some of the live to lathe stuff as well... Was just cutting dubs an hour ago of a project that was intended as live to lathe, but in which the masters got ruined in transit. Luckily we had it backed up digitally as well.

I also spent a six-hour day recording a band called Amo Joy, live to lathe over and over and over again onto picnic plates. Full band setup in my Kitchen, 4 Presto 6ns cranking in my bedroom.

Check out: piaptk.com and lathecuts.com to see what I do.

Prestofan

Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:26 pm

Good for you on your endeavor for the 78 project. I have owned several K's over the years. Started with one in 1945 when in high school recording recitals, weddings, etc.

If you have not visited the Presto History page on the internet, I invite you to do so. http://www.prestohistory.com

By the way - the age of the K8 is circa 1940, not 1930.

Alan

realex

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:00 am

Hello there, great to meet you, Piaptk. We love what you're doing, also love that you do limited runs on vinyl. Great to know. It would be good fun to find a way to work together down the road. We plan to be in the Northwest sometime in the coming months, and would love to meet you and check out your setup. 4 6Ns going simultaneously? Woah! Very cool.

realex

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:14 am

Hello Alan! It is a great pleasure to meet you, we have been huge fans and avid readers of your site for a few years now. It has inspired and informed us many times along the way. We were also really happy to see new postings from Bob and Joe Saliba, both of whom have been really generous to us with their own time and information. You are right about that particular Presto in the picture being from c. 1940: Bob looked at the ser # on it and said it was from the New York facility, and therefor from an early production run, though apparently that may have been slightly earlier than 1940. In any event, we do have a few Prestos (we're not collectors, just need to always have a working one for our project), and our original inspiration was some of the earlier models (hence our reference to the 1930's). If you have time, we would love to meet up with you when we're in the Northwest, we'd love to speak with you and film you speaking about your love and knowledge of the Presto.

Prestofan

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:31 pm

Would love to meet up with you. Let me know where and when - and we can work out some details.

By the way, looking at the k8 in your photo - it migh be a k10 - if not marked, then it is a modified k8. I see along side the head the advance ball mechanism which was added to the K8 becoming the K10. This places it in the era of the microgroove, closer to 1950.

Anyway, cheers for yur part in keeping disc cutting alive.

Alan