Presto 6N with 2 overheads, 1-C & 1-D heads on ebay

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

Angus McCarthy

Presto 6N with 2 overheads, 1-C & 1-D heads on ebay

Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:04 pm

Alright, fellas. Willing to bet this'll be the auction of the season.

No lead screws included, unfortunately.

www.ebay.com/itm/221144455064

powerstrip

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:48 am

note that this is the same auction from a week ago, with the same 1-D mechanism "No lead screw". This is now the 1-D and 1-C overheads (no lead screws)

and a very nicely kept 6N to state the obvious!

At $200 for shipping, anyone on the east coast might consider picking this up from vestal, NY.

tragwag

Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:57 pm

that box looks much nicer than the one mine is in!
making lathe cuts on a Presto 6N, HIFI stereo cuts on vinylrecorder
at Audio Geography Studios, Providence, RI USA
http://www.audiogeography.com

tragwag

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:05 am

I watched this go for $1500 plus $200 shipping.
The two overheads are worth it I think, though no amp obviously

powerstrip

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:10 am

Wow someone really wanted this. Great shape, and yes, about the two overheads, that is great as well, but, wow.

I just already know of about 4-5 different 6N sitting around in disrepair, That is entirely too much, considering what a little elbow grease can do to an old cutter. You could cut $800 off the price

tragwag

Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:41 am

I would have to agree, too expensive!
I put a day or two of work into an old 6N, and got the mechanical system to a good place.

piaptk

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:17 pm

Actually, I would say that $1500 is about right for that. 6Ns have been significantly undervalued in the last 3 or 4 auctions that popped up, as opposed to the insane prices for ROK machines that you can't find replacement parts for.

I have owned SIX 6ns over the past few years and have always paid around $1000-$1200 for them and sold them to friends for the same. $1500 is slightly on the high side, since there is no feedscrew, perhaps, but the fact that there is an extra head and overhead that could be used for parts (I'm sure there are some overheads floating around out there missing cranks, screw blades, etc) I think it averages out.

Sure, you can happen across them when you are digging in people's garages for way cheaper, but if you actively sought one out from someone who knows what it is, $1200-1500 is totally reasonable price for what you get, a tank of a mono lathe that is easy to use and has easily repaired and replaced parts.

I would never part with any of mine for less than $1200, even if I never used them... and I know at least 5 people \that would be happy to pay that for one if I decided to sell it.
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

piaptk

Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:20 pm

powerstrip wrote:Wow someone really wanted this. Great shape, and yes, about the two overheads, that is great as well, but, wow.

I just already know of about 4-5 different 6N sitting around in disrepair, That is entirely too much, considering what a little elbow grease can do to an old cutter. You could cut $800 off the price
I would be interested in purchasing another unit if you have access to ones that are not being used for cheap...
I Buy/Sell/Restore Vintage Machines/Parts and Provide Phone/In Person Tech Support
www.MichaelDixonVinylArt.com
www.LatheCutCamp.com
www.RecordLatheParts.com
www.MobileVinylRecorders.com
www.LatheCuts.com

Angus McCarthy

Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:18 pm

[quote="piaptk"][/quote]
I guess I got in on the lower side, then, at $800. Of course I still have to get my 1-D overhauled and that'll add another hundred to the investment. Plus the cost of new idlers it'd come pretty close to 1K all told just for the hardware.

tragwag

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:43 pm

good to hear people regard the quality of the 6N still.
I really like it!
I guess I was under the impression that the amp was worth more, though the full setup from Al totaled + amp right around what you guys are saying.