(For sale) Ortofon STL-631

Selling equipment? know of a good lead on obtaining equipment? looking to buy? You can post info here.

Note: We have no system in place, nor the human resources, to enforce fees, for what amounts to placing an ad with the best possible audience for your items. Nonetheless, there is hope, need, and expectation: Please show good will, and help the site survive, by giving a contribution (using the golden button up top) when your item sells, or if the site helps you find the service you need.

Moderators: piaptk, tragwag, Steve E., Aussie0zborn

2000F

(For sale) Ortofon STL-631

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:47 am

Hi,

I'm selling an Ortofon STL-631 acceleration limiter (the 1963 valve/tube version) at eBay here:
http://bit.ly/YndOTw

An automatic low-pass filter/acceleration limiter/treble overload protector/de-esser for disk cutting, radio broadcast and studio work. Simply put, this unit keeps the treble frequencies in check.

This is a rare piece of equipment rarely seen for sale anywhere. I haven't personally seen one for sale during the many years I've been an eBay member.

Designed and built in Copenhagen, Denmark, in 1963 this valve/tube-based 2U high, 19" wide rack-mount unit is built to the highest of standards. It was built for various pro audio applications, primarily 1) vinyl/acetate disk cutting systems (Ortofon, Neumann, Lyrec, Scully, etc.) and 2) radio broadcasts. It can, like its younger STL-731 cousin, also be used as an amasing and natural sounding - and extremely fast that is - de-esser (for e.g. vocals, drum overheads, synths, guitars, etc.) in modern music studio productions. Basically it's two low-pass filters automatically varies their cut-off frequencies according to the input level and the threshold level. Quote from the original manual: "two independent low-pass filters with the cut-off frequency continuously variable from 20 kcps to 7 kcps controlled by associated amplifiers with adjustable threshold and specially shaped frequency response."

It is a stereo unit with two metres (channel A and B; showing the cut-off frequencies), a shared COMMON LEVEL adjustable pot (left side of the unit), a bypass switch (red; centre of the unit), and an on/off switch with associated red lamp and fuse (right side of the unit. Please note that the fuse holder seem to miss its outer plastic cap. The fuse is thus still kept in place but you should not touch the metal fuse holder).

The back of the unit features sockets for two (2) ECL 86 valves/tubes (both valves/tubes missing; one black metal protecting case missing too) and two (2) 5726 valves/tubes (includedd, but untested) and one (1) E 88 C valve/tube (included, but untested).

It also features a seriously big JS (Jørgen Schou, I presume) power transformer and more. It features two (2) different female connectors (on the extreme left and right of the back of the unit) for inputs, outputs and power. The right hand (seen from the back) connector does not come with a matching male connector unfortunately, however, the left side connector does.

The unit is on the front side in a really great, almost near mint condition, and the top/bottom/back shows typical sign of wear from a unit this old. However, despite is has recently been looked at by Werner of the famed Fairman valve/tube company it is UNTESTED and does not come with any cables.

Still, the unit does come with complete - and very rare - documentation (photocopies of great condition as well scanned pdf's). The documentation is 21 pages long and includes manual, all schematics, specifications, frequency response curves, adjustment and calibration notes, circuit diagram, cutting lathe connections notes, connectors diagram, and so on. This is extremely valuable and highly important information for equipment of this type and age.

DETAILS:
Width: 19"
Height: 2 rack units
Weight:14 lbs./6,35 kg.
Power: 110-115/220-230 volts AC, 50-60 cps. Consumption 31,5 VA
Time constants: less than 05, milliseconds attack, 80 milliseconds release (non-variable)

I can, if required, have it completely serviced by aforementioned Werner of the Fairman company. The expenses, of course, will be the winning bidder's own.
As it stands now, the Ortofon STL-631 is sold as untested.

Any questions? Please don't hesitate to ask. Best of luck.

Tak
Frederik

powerstrip

Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:25 am

Wow, I am really crying right now that i could not afford this, just, simply, perfect!!! lucky winner!!!